FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100 audio input 1 & 2 not working

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Cervarich
DVX100 audio input 1 & 2 not working
on Jul 11, 2010 at 2:26:35 pm

I just got a call to shoot with my DVX100 which I have not used for some time. I spent yesterday checking it out. All seems okay but the audio. When I hook up a mic to XLR input 1 or 2, the mic is not recognized by the camera. While I'm in internal (the on-board mic), everything is fine. I am in mic not line. I have switched Channel 1 select and channel 2 select to their respective input 1 and input 2. Input 1 and input 2 are on so I am using the mic power +48v. I see no contradictions in my menu setups.
What are I doing wrong? Does this camera need to go into the shop? Is it once again operator error?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVX100 audio input 1 & 2 not working
on Jul 12, 2010 at 4:23:46 am

are you sure the mic you have needs phantom power?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2010 at 4:23:43 am

oops double post.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Jul 12, 2010 at 3:15:35 pm

Noah -
I have been using this mic is this setup since I bought the camera four years ago and it has worked like a champ - but maybe it would work just as well with this setting switched to off.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2010 at 3:51:10 pm

It should be one or the other if everything's working right. Try other mics. If those don't work get the camera repaired.

Noah

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Jul 12, 2010 at 4:56:10 pm

Noah -
I have tried other mics and I have tested all these mics on other equipment to make certain they are functioning properly.
But...
You have mentioned the dreaded word - repair.
Considering the rapidly evolving state-of-the-art in camera technology, do you think it would be worth it to repair this camera? I can still use it with the on-board mic and it functions well. Repair will probably be a minimum of $300. This money might be more effectively used to go towards buying an upgrade camera.
Thanks for whatever thoughts you have to offer.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:30:59 pm

I don't think it would be that much- it's a really inexpensive part of the camera and it would help its resell value if nothing else. Worth at least getting an estimate.

Noah

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:36:23 pm

Noah -
Thanks for the advice. I will take it and get an estimate. I will let you know what the estimate is when I get it so you can use it for reference.
Frank

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:12:59 pm

cool thanks Frank. :)

Noah

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Jul 22, 2010 at 3:56:04 pm

Noah -
I have an estimate to repair my camera. It turns out that there was more to it (what else is new) than just the XLR connectors. A puncture so hidden that it had not been noticed caused by a fall the camera took several years ago had put pressure on the board that connects to the XLR connectors causing the malfunction. That puncture and fall, in turn, had caused other internal problems that needed replacement and/or repair. Without actually getting into repair the estimate is now standing at $1200 - and some of the parts that are damaged have no listed replacement part. It is unclear whether those parts are still being made. My current thinking is to have the camera put back together and not repaired. It still works and records audio via the internal mics. I am now waiting to see what happens in the DSLR wars that look like they will be exploding in the next six months to a year. If the price range remains the same, I could pick up I much improved HD camera for less than $3000. Does that make sense?
Thanks again for your responses to my issue. I really appreciate it. Take care.
Frank

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]