FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating client TC Window copies....

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Newman
Creating client TC Window copies....
on Jun 25, 2010 at 10:46:57 pm

Hey all,

My little HMC 150 is producing just what I need, and I like what I'm seeing after a year of use and varied applications and scenarios. Good product overall, not perfect, but for the cost, great in my opinion.

I've been in production for 20+ years and like most of you gone through lots of different hardware and software. I'm using FCP 6 for ingest of my AVCHD footage, and all is well except.... I have been struggling with finding a way to create time code windows for clients. Isn't there there some way to decode the AVCHD files to multiple formats? This seems like such a needed function as we could shoot in 1080p and export a couple different formats in "Log and Transfer". Is this just some forthcoming function in newer versions of FCP? Even with the MacPro I am running, the output function for windows is slow at best. Open to ideas. How do others go about this?

Thanks folks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Creating client TC Window copies....
on Jun 27, 2010 at 6:37:26 am

You could set up droplets in Compressor with the TC overlay filter for starters...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Todd Newman
on Jun 27, 2010 at 5:46:51 pm

Thanks. I have been doing that, but I still have to ingest my AVCHD files to their original, and they are huge. I am hoping to find a way to transcode from the AVCHD directly to an alternate format/size from the original captured file size. Hour and a half conferences recorded in 1080 are eating up too much of my resources in HD space, and all I need to produce at this point is a window for the client. To play back from the camera is another alternative, but that's a really long process too. Maybe this HMC 150 is just the wrong way to approach long recordings?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 28, 2010 at 1:24:10 am

Get more hard drives- we're talking $100/TB these days- it's a minor cost....

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Todd Newman
on Jun 28, 2010 at 4:37:52 pm

Noah, It's more a time factor for me not a space issue.

I finally came up with my own solution this weekend. You want more options for outputting directly from AVCHD .MTS files? This works, and there are tons of options! " Wondershare Video Converter Pro for Mac". It runs very well on the 8 core and will handle/convert 8 files at a time in the cue, so a process that was taking hours is reduced to minutes. Best money I ever spent on simple software. Now why has Apple or Panasonic, or someone not seen the need for this? Maybe the next release?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 28, 2010 at 6:39:51 pm

Most of those sorts of apps are simply batch processors for QuickTime but if it works for you- go for it.

Noah

Return to posts index

Todd Newman
on Jun 28, 2010 at 6:56:47 pm

I couldn't get MTS files to open with quicktime. You can? Am I missing something? Being able to output a different file completely in AVCHD from what is originally captured is big deal and not something that is offered in quicktime or any other of the production tools that I have found.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]