FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tips for shooting into the sun, maxing out lens flare without damaging camera

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe Woodworth
Tips for shooting into the sun, maxing out lens flare without damaging camera
on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:20:09 pm

I'm shooting some ourdoor footage with a DVX100b in the late afternoon / early evening, and the effect I'm going for is: soft focus, bright, blown out, lots of lens flares. Think "Virgin Suicides."

The manual specifically says not to point the lens at the sun, that it will damage the chips. And I've read as much -- that the lens is basically a magnifying glass, and will concentrate the power of the sun and fry the chip in the camera.

So my question is...how do I get the look that I want without damaging the camera?

Thanks in advance!

-zoe

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Tips for shooting into the sun, maxing out lens flare without damaging camera
on Jun 18, 2010 at 10:00:57 pm

ND lens and a matte box would be a good place to begin.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Herman Bolita
Re: Tips for shooting into the sun, maxing out lens flare without damaging camera
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:58:02 pm

Hello Zoe;

Basically what the manual tells you is not to shoot at the sun directly or any powerful light source such as a laser, So If the effect you are looking for is lens flare you should not be worried about I have worked with that camera many times before and Iens flare is a thing a use a lot.

Some tips for the "virgin suicides effect":

Try to use tele lens to keep the depth of field short and get nice out of focus.
Afternoon and Sunrise hours are the best to shoot. The sun is close to the horizon so its easier to get lens flare and the light is soft nice and warm.

Hope yo have helped.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Zoe Woodworth
on Jun 30, 2010 at 4:22:15 pm

This is great, thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Herman Bolita
on Jun 30, 2010 at 5:44:06 pm

One more thing I forgot to tell you, Try to use the nds to get the f stopas open as posible to get a narrow depth of field.

Good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]