FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Capture Setting Differences Between 24P & 24PA ?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Jones
FCP Capture Setting Differences Between 24P & 24PA ?
on Jun 17, 2010 at 6:11:47 pm

Being that this is my first post, I want to first thank this forum for being such a wonderful learning resource, and especially thanks to Noah Kadner and Brian Artka.

I am a newbie using the DVX100b and video making in general. Just recently finished shooting about 22 hours of footage for a feature and am now ready to capture using Final Cut Pro.

I've read past articles authored by Noah stating that one must use the DV NTSC Advanced capture preset (29.97 with pulldown removal)when properly capturing DVX100 24PA footage with FCP. Got it.

My dilemma is that half of my footage for this project was mistakenly shot on regular 24P - the other half 24PA.

My question then is, "Can I use the same capture settings for the 24P footage to achieve the same look as the 24PA" and if not (which I think is probably the case), what settings should I use and will I need to run the footage through additional processing?

One last thing - a couple of the mini DV tapes were not labeled properly - so I do not it they were shot in 24P or 24PA. Is there a way to tell?

Thanks Again!

Ryan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCP Capture Setting Differences Between 24P & 24PA ?
on Jun 17, 2010 at 10:44:34 pm

Nope- you'd need to use Cinema Tools on a clip by clip basis if you wanted to truly edit at 24p. Which you do if you want the best looking DVD etc.And yes it's a huge pain in the a.

I really drum this into folks it's like more important than turning on the camera or removing the lens cap. If you're not shooting in 24pA, you basically shouldn't shoot at all. Sorry...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Ryan Jones
on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:20:21 am

Thanks for confirming - I was afraid of that. Live and learn I suppose. Or maybe I'll just take your classes in the future :)

One other quick thing: I looked up what I need to do in Cinema Tools. There is one thing I'm unclear about. When doing Batch Reverse Telecine on the clips, I can either conform to 23.97 or 24. FCP will also allow me to set edit sequence preset at 23.97 or 24. I know they both have to match up, but does it matter which rate I use?

Thanks again.

Ryan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:32:26 pm

23.98 or 23.976 are what you want. 24 exact refers to film specific material.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Brent Bederka
on Jul 31, 2010 at 9:15:24 am

Noah, I've been following your thread on how important it is to use 24PA when shooting. But unfortunately, I had shot a lot of footage to tape on my HVX200 before I read your advice and it's all just NTSC 24P. I'm using FC6. I would like to retain the 24fps film-look and output to DVD.

Would you please give me a step-by-step workflow, perhaps? These are some of my concerns:

In Easy Setup...

1. Should I set the rate to 23.98 or to 29.97? I noticed that if you set the rate on 23.98 and the Use field on DV-NTSC-24p (23.98) and then open the Capture and Sequence tabs in the Audio/Video Settings, it says it will capture in 29.97 and sequence in 23.98. So are you still recommending you set the rate to 29.97 in Easy Setup? Has recent versions of Final Cut automated this choice?

2. What should I set in the Use field?

3. I shot the footage in squeeze mode. What should I adjust for this and at what point?

4. Would it be wise to check the box in the Capture Preset Editor that says "Remove Advanced Pulldown and/or Duplicate Frames from Firestore sources" or is that still strictly for capturing 24PA?

5. Should I select Cinema Tools Reverse Telecine for each clip before dropping onto the timeline?

6. Any way to remove the extra pull down frames after editing on the timeline?

7. Is it normal to get a message when you drop the clips into the time line asking me to "Change the sequence settings to match the clip settings"?

I know this is an old issue, but I just didn't know if Final Cut has made it any easier since version 6.

Thanks so much for clarifying. And I hope everyone who finds this thread, starts using 24PA instead to avoid all of this anguish!

Thanks Noah!

Return to posts index

dorit grunberger
on Feb 11, 2011 at 1:26:24 am

Hey Brent

Did you ever figure it out? I see nobody helped you and I'm interested in the answers as well

Thanks,

Dorit

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]