FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100 24p Advanced vs. Magic Bullet Frames

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jojo galan
DVX100 24p Advanced vs. Magic Bullet Frames
on Jun 11, 2010 at 6:56:49 pm

Hello,
I am a new user of the DVX100B. It's great!!

I was wondering if there was a difference between using the DVX100 24p in camera or using a post editing 24p program like Magic Bullet Frames?

The reason I ask is because I have been reading that if you want to do slo-mo you should shoot at 60i.

Please advise.
Thank You,
jj

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: DVX100 24p Advanced vs. Magic Bullet Frames
on Jun 11, 2010 at 7:47:17 pm

[jojo galan] "I have been reading that if you want to do slo-mo you should shoot at 60i. "

Well, here's what happens when you do that: first, you have to conform the 60i footage to 60 frames/sec. Okay, actually 59.94 frames/sec. When that happens, you see only the FIELDS of the footage. You lose half the vertical resolution of the picture. Why? because the 720x480 frame of a DV picture is in two interlaced fields, which are 720x240.

Once you've done that, you can then conform the footage to 23.976 frames/sec. Your footage will now be 2 1/2 times slower than it was originally... but it'll have half the resolution. Sound good?

And with HD cameras that actually shoot 60 frames/sec like the HVX 200, why would you want to fool around with crummy-looking DV footage anyway?

Now, you may not have a choice in the matter of a camera. In which case, you ought to look into frame rate conversion software, which you're already pondering. It does various forms of interpolation to create new intermediate frames. Yeah, it's pricey, but it does a much better job.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jojo galan
on Jun 12, 2010 at 1:34:09 am

Thanks Dave.

I have the DVX so that is the camera that I want to maximize it's usage. The camera makes great images. =) for me at least.

A question I have is, if I already have footage shot at 24p advanced, is there any trick to make the slow motion smoother than I am getting with the native slo-mo effects in Premiere?

Thank You,
jj

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 13, 2010 at 8:00:51 pm

No. Slo-mo is created by shooting at a HIGH frame rate, then playing it back at the normal frame rate. The motion remains smooth in comparison to the surrounding normal-rate footage. By choosing to shoot at the same frame rate as the surround footage, your slo-mo stands a very poor chance of looking smooth.

Hence the need for frame rate conversion software.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy Schroeder
on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:54:44 pm

If you shoot at 30p then import that footage into a 23.98 timeline and set it's speed to 80% you can get frame for frame full resolution slow motion from the DVX100. It looks really smooth, but it's not as slow as you want some of the times, cause your really only locked into that one speed to be able to keep the resolution.

As for converting 60i to 23.98 with software or just shooting 24p Advanced, you'll save yourself the headache of waiting for the software to process it if you just shoot 24p Advanced to start, and the software I've seen doesn't look as natural as the in camera, because the DVX100 literally shoots at 23.98 fps in that mode and it's just encoded into 29.97 to fit the DV codec. If you remove the extra frames on import you get the exact same 23.98 fps that you shot and not some interpolation of what it could have looked like.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]