FORUMS: list search recent posts

best camera settings for slo-mo

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dorit grunberger
best camera settings for slo-mo
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:24:15 pm

Quick question

I have a DVX100a and I'd like to know if there is a "best settings" if I wanted to later use the footage in FCP in slow motion. In other words, if I'm taping a dance and I'd like it to show most smoothly if I reduce the speed and then author?

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

taras groves
Re: best camera settings for slo-mo
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:18:29 pm

something i saw and tried and looked alright surprisngly (but im no pro). Shoot in 60i at a shutter speed of at least 120. Then you got to time stretch it in adobe to your correct 25frame rate. Seems sweet(compared to what i use to do, ie just slow the time duration in premiere). But would like to hear other peoples opinions.

Return to posts index

dorit grunberger
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:27:15 pm

I actually don't know where/how to find the 60i setting on the DVX100a, could you step me through that? Unfortunateluy, I do not have Adobe, I'm working with FCP 7 only.

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

taras groves
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:42:35 am

well im from the UK so use pal, so really i use 50i I believe. But basically, i had troubles to untill I realised that for me it didnt specifically say that it was in 50 i mode. What you got to do is simply go into the menu, find the option that states whether you want to shoot in progressive mode or not. Then deselect it. That way you should then be shooting 50/60i interlaced which is what I think looks best. (I do have an ag-dvx100b), but I assume they would be roughly the same. :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:02:20 pm

I have NO idea whether you're in a PAL/NTSC country, nor what your delivered frame rate will be, both of which will make a difference.

So let's say you're in an NTSC country, you want a film frame rate, you blow the dust off your camera's manual, and look up the settings for 60i... which is the default in NTSC-Land, incidentally. Once the shots are captured, you'd use Cinema Tools to conform your duplicated footage to 59.94 frames/sec, and export it. You'd then have to import the 59.94 footage back into FCP, and conform it to 23.976, aka 23.98.

Know that when you do this, you lose HALF of your image's vertical resolution because you're showing only one field for each frame. The slo-mo will look okay, but the vertical resolution will look like garbage.

Is that what you want? You can't expect miracles from DV, you know.

You might be able to put a Band-Aid on the reduced resolution by applying a plugin called Instant HD from Red Giant Software, but I don't know if it works in FCP and I don't know if it would be able to extrapolate those missing scan lines. You could run a test using the tryout version. Another way: drop about $500 US to get frame rate conversion software like Twixtor from ReelVision or Magic Bullet to slow it down.

No matter what you try, remember these two terms when trying to slo-mo DV footage: "silk purse" and "sow's ear".

Or you could simply rent a couple of P2 cameras capable of shooting 720 60p, and conforming the footage to 23.976. It's the video equivalent of the practice of overcranking when using film cameras.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]