FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Tapes to use?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Which Tapes to use?
on Jun 2, 2010 at 8:02:39 am

Hi,

I own a Panasonic DVX100B, which I always use Sony tapes for.
And I try to stick with that, as I once heard mixing tape brands damages the head.
Now, I heard the rumour that Sony tapes damage the Heads on Panasonic Cams and you should only use Panasonic Tapes.
Is that true - or a rumour spread in the interest of Panasonic to rise their tape selling numbers ;-)

Thanx for advice on this one!

Sascha

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Which Tapes to use?
on Jun 2, 2010 at 2:40:05 pm

We've always used Sony tapes in our DVX, no problems. The issue of lubrication is the reason to stick with one brand of tapes. Different tape makers use different tape lubrication formulas, which can cause problems if you mix brands.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 2, 2010 at 3:46:30 pm

Thanx, Dave, that is what I always heard too.
Just wanted to check, cause some DOP here mentioned that issue once.
Feeling calmer now ;-)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 2, 2010 at 8:38:56 pm

Yep- tape brand matters not so much as being consistent. And regularly running the head cleaner. And keeping the camera clean and in a case.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 2, 2010 at 9:39:26 pm

Hi Noah, but I guess not too often as well, as I did hear, that too much cleaning tape ruins the head as well, as it's kind of a fine "sandpaper" taking particles off. So if you do that too often it wears down the head as well.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:45:20 pm

Sure it's not necessary to do it after every tape but definitely on a regular basis. Most head cleaners have a recommendation as to how many hours between cleanings etc.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]