FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shot footage but need something other than .mxf

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Pickering
Shot footage but need something other than .mxf
on May 23, 2010 at 3:08:49 am

I shot some green screen shots the other day with my HMC40.

My current workflow is using AVCHD Transcoder to convert the .mts files to .mxf files. The mxf files I can use in PPro CS4 but I didn't realize it's not just a single file but rather links to audio somwhere else in the crazy directory structure. If I want a high quality video for chroma keying what's my best option? I thought about dropping the .mxf file into AE and exporting a quicktime video, but is that the best?

Ideally I would like to drop the clips on a DVD and mail it to the editor without any directory structure or crazy formats.

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
Re: Shot footage but need something other than .mxf
on May 23, 2010 at 3:28:52 am

Just tried importing the .MTS files into AE CS4 but it crashes when trying to view them. I then imported the .mxf files and exported as MP4 files but the quality is terrible. I can't put money into CS5 so that is not an option.

Please, any ideas?

Thank you!

-Stephen

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 23, 2010 at 4:31:00 pm

Export as ProRes instead of Mp4...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
on May 23, 2010 at 5:17:47 pm

Export FROM AE to ProRes? I'll try that! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
on May 23, 2010 at 6:26:27 pm

I've been trying to figure out where ProRes is but I have had no luck. A different Cow forum post said it was a Quicktime codec but even following that I cannot find it anywhere. Am I doing something wrong or am I just missing something?
Thank you again!
-Stephen

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
on May 23, 2010 at 7:24:05 pm

Ok, I finally found out that ProRes is Apple only. I am on a PC running AE CS3 and CS4. It sounds like a "lossless" Quicktime "Animation" is the best setting to use. Any reason not to use it? I am just concerned about keeping as much color information as possible as I know how valuable it is for keying the green. Just to be clear, I am not editing anything on my end, just trying to get them as close to a 1:1 copy of the captured footage for THEM to key, edit, etc.

Thank you again for any help!
-Stephen

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 23, 2010 at 11:51:12 pm

Whatever is the equivalent on a PC for no recompression. No idea what WMV is these days...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on May 25, 2010 at 8:04:18 pm

You might want to take a look at Cineform's NEO SCENE software, which will transcode AVCHD videos to the Cineform CODEC.

The Cineform CODEC is a 10-bit 4:2:2 editing/archiving CODEC, that is designed to retain all of the detail of your original AVCHD video, even after many generations.

It's also about the only editing CODEC that is completely cross-platform for the Mac, so the exact same files that you create on the PC can be opened and worked on with Final Cut Pro WITHOUT having to transcode to the ProRes format. ( both platforms will have to have the NEO SCENE software installed )

You can download a trial version from:

Cineform NEO SCENE
http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

- Guy

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
on Jun 5, 2010 at 2:23:55 am

Thank you Guy and Noah,

I'll take a look at NEO SCENE. It turns out that the post production house has CS5 which was able to open the "raw" AVCHD footage without a hickup. I just copied the file structure to a DVD and dropped it in the mail.

Thank you again and I'll definitely check out that software!

-Stephen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]