FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding firmware update to Panasonic AG-HMC150

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Dunlop
Adding firmware update to Panasonic AG-HMC150
on May 18, 2010 at 10:09:24 pm

I've been told I need to update my firmware to be able to record on class 10 SDHC cards. How do I do that? Website from manual doesn't exist.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Adding firmware update to Panasonic AG-HMC150
on May 18, 2010 at 11:01:38 pm

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/soft...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

John Baldino
on May 20, 2010 at 9:00:41 am

Do 150s shipped in 2010 already have the latest firmware? (ie can they read class 10 sdhc cards out of the box?)

I've been using Class 6 with no trouble but it would be nice to know if I could switch to class 10 without needing to upgrade the firmware. The date of the firmware listed on the panasonic site is 2009 so I'm assuming the newer shipped cameras already have it?

Director/DP/Editor
GoboMedia, LLC
http://www.gobomedia.net (under construction)

"Philosophy is questioning without answers; religion is answers without questioning." - Anonymous

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 20, 2010 at 1:04:21 pm

You can check your firmware version in the MENU and compare to the latest version number. Upgrading is pretty easy...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael Dunlop
on May 23, 2010 at 9:03:10 pm

Everything worked perfectly and I'm now running Firmware 1.2 which is allowing me to use the class 10 cards. Thank you very much for your advice.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Villarreal
on Jul 2, 2010 at 7:44:54 am

Hi,

Can you please tell me where in the MENU of your HMC-150 can you see which version you are running? In case I need such update (1.2 version), could you please tell me how you update your firmware? Thank you so much for your help.

Return to posts index

Michael Dunlop
on Jul 2, 2010 at 12:35:44 pm

In the main menu go to "other functions">"system info" and it will tell you what version you have. I think 1.2 is the latest because I had 1.15 and it wouldn't take class 10 SD cards. I followed instructions from Noah, (see thread) and it was easy to upload to 1.2.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Villarreal
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:10:11 pm

Awesome! Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I do have version 1.2! Have a great day!

Return to posts index

Chris Epperson
on Apr 3, 2012 at 2:54:04 am

Hey gang - I realize this is an old post... I tried clicking the instructions link, and it's since been changed. I've been on Panasonic's site for about 2 hours now, and can't see anywhere that explains how to update the firmware. I've downloaded it from the site, but don't know how to install it on the camera, and all the release notes say is 'check the instructions in the site.'.

Any direction would be great! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Robert Ansley
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:54:26 pm

Chris - ME TOO! I've got several class 10 cards that my producer told me to use and I can't. I've looked everywhere for the firmware and can't find it.

Return to posts index

Robert Ansley
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:02:48 pm

Here's the answer to this question. Anyone owning any of the Panasonic professional cameras can benefit from this. You need to manage your camera with the P2 Asset Support System called PASS. This P2 software handles AVCHD cameras as well. You log on to the Panasonic site in Japan (not here), create an account, then register your camera. This will get you emailed updates as to any changes. Then, download the P2 software and finally the 1.21 firmware update. Follow the instructions. The killer for me is that this cannot be done by battery, you must use the a/c adapter which I lost long ago. Anyway.....here's the link:
http://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/p2ui/guest/TopLogin.do?lang=en

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:12:29 am

This firmware came out almost 2 years ago. I am surprised that some people are only updating their cameras now...

Return to posts index

Robert Ansley
on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:48:01 am

You are right, I usually check for updates regularly. The P2 Status Logger is supposed to keep track of your assets and let you know that there are updates. I would get periodic emails about things, such as an AVCHD reader, and a recover utility, but it never notified me of a firmware update. I switched over to a Mac about a year ago and forgot I had that logger on a PC. I didn't know anything was wrong until I couldn't use class 10 cards. Panasonic has some of the worst technical support I have seen. There is no information about this on US servers that I could find. I had to log on to the Japanese site to find out there was a firmware update. Maybe because the 150 is obsolete and has been replaced with the 130 and 160 (according to my local dealer.)

Return to posts index

Mark Oliver
on Jan 19, 2013 at 5:41:57 am

Hi, I read all the posts and went to Panasonic's site but couldn't register because my camera is 2nd hand, I guess the original owner registered it. ANYWAY I am trying to upgrade to the code 10 cards because I can't find the older ones which work fine. Amazon has shipped me wrong cards twice.

So following the instructions I don't think my camera ever entered the UPGRADE MODE?
My PC mode lamp never blinked. I think the camera is set up to default to the camera mode on start up correct? So am I changing to PB PC mode after I plug in the USB cable or what. My downloaded Mac instructions do not say? What have I missed? Thank you ! If the PC lamp is suppose to blink automatically it isnt?

Return to posts index

Scott Tiner
on Jun 18, 2015 at 8:49:52 pm

I found the instructions provided by Panasonic on how to update the firmware difficult to understand, so I wrote my own:

OVERVIEW

Use this procedure to update the firmware in your camcorder to the latest version. As of 6/2015, the latest version is v1.21-00-0.00 and appears not to have been updated in several years.

Updating your firmware will allow you to use SD cards greater than Class 4 (or Class 6?) in your camcorder. For example, after I upgraded, I was able to use a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 SDHC SD card in my camcorder.

You can download the firmware and the installation instructions from the Panasonic website (you must create an account): http://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp. Or you can download these files from my DropBox account (shared with everyone -- details below).

The file on the Panasonic website is a zip file (vsi5012e.zip) that contains the firmware update executable (HMC150.exe) and the instructions (PDF). You'll use a computer to update the firmware via a USB cable that you connect to your camcorder.

WHAT YOU NEED

• PC: 32-bit OS (64-bit won't work)

• file*: the firmware update file from Panasonic

• adapter: AC power adapter (shown on p. 20 of the HMC150 manual)

• cable: USB cable (mini-B -- like this: http://bit.ly/1LdYa7V)

• * Note: I uploaded the firmware update file and the instructions to my DropBox account. Anyone can download them (if a DropBox signup box appears, click the X in the upper right corner to close it):

• firmware........https://www.dropbox.com/s/1n919vmsoxp1smf/HMC150.exe?dl=0"

• instructions....https://www.dropbox.com/s/t07ua281fjgxyth/hmc150verup_e.pdf?dl=0

• ------------------------------------------------
    UPDATING THE FIRMWARE

1. DON'T connect the USB cable to the camcorder yet.

2. On the computer, run HMC150.exe and follow the prompts until the 'Panasonic Device Firmware Upgrade' window is displayed.

3. Ensure the camcorder power is OFF.

4. (If you haven't already done so) Connect the AC power adapter cable from the wall to the camcorder.

5. Ensure an SD card is not in the camcorder slot.

6. Leave the SD card door open.

Note: In steps 7 and 8, don't confuse the red recording button that is part of the camcorder POWER SWITCH with the red recording button on the HANDLE. At no time in this procedure will you press the red recording button that is part of the camcorder POWER SWITCH.

7. On the camcorder HANDLE, on the right side, is an OFF/ON switch. Set this switch to the ON position. This will ensure the red recording button on top of the handle is active when you press it in the next step.

8. Press and hold the red recording button on the HANDLE, turn the camcorder power ON (rotate the power switch to ON), then release the red button on the handle.

This puts the camera in a special mode that allows the firmware to be updated. The screen should be black. If it isn't, turn the camcorder off and repeat step 8.

9. On the rear end of the camcorder, on the right, open the cover that gives you access to the interface connectors (USB, HDMI, headphones, etc.).

10. Connect the USB cable from the computer to the camcorder.

This triggers the computer and a window with the words "Upgrading the firmware. Don't power off..." is displayed.

11. On this window, click the Start button.

The upgrade process begins. On the rear end of the camcorder, on the left side, note the flashing PC light. This indicates that the update process is in progress. When the update process is complete, the light stops flashing. On my computer, the software also notified me via a sound. The update process might take about 10 minutes.

12. On the computer, when the Upgrade is successful message is displayed, click OK.

13. Turn off the camcorder power.

14. Disconnect the USB cable from the camcorder.

15. Turn on the camcorder power.

16. Check the camera's menu system to ensure the firmware was upgraded to the latest version (1.21-00-0.00). To do this, press:
    MENU > OTHER FUNCTIONS > SYSTEM INFO > YES

You can now install a battery (if you want) and insert a class 10 SD card to record a test clip.

END

Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 on Windows
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tinermedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]