FORUMS: list search recent posts

From an article I was just shown...

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Brame
From an article I was just shown...
on May 3, 2010 at 7:12:10 pm

"You see, there is something very important, that the vast majority of both consumers and video professionals don't know: ALL modern video cameras and camcorders that shoot in h.264 or mpeg2, come with a license agreement that says that you can only use that camera to shoot video for "personal use and non-commercial" purposes (go on, read your manuals)."

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions
VODSouth

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: From an article I was just shown...
on May 3, 2010 at 9:07:50 pm

I'd like to see them try to enforce it.

Production companies hired by networks have shot episodes on DSLRs, and you'd think network legal departments wouldn't let that happen if there was an actual license violation happening.

If the camera makers indeed do win, guess what? They'll just cut off their nose to spite their face. People will start using other types of cameras, and a big portion of the market for HDV and DSLR cameras will suddenly dry up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on May 3, 2010 at 9:16:47 pm

"I'd like to see them try to enforce it."

Pretty much my take as well. Since most of the cameras have the wording "professional' and 'professional use' in their marketing materials and manuals, I'd have a hard time believing that any judge would find for them.

I mean, seriously, how many non-professional videographers attend NAB?

Steve Brame
VODSouth

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 4, 2010 at 5:22:09 pm

Unless you are planning to play out to broadcast directly from your camera which I don't see anyone doing. Any DVD you make or web encoding you use has already covered those agreements at the software licensing level...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on May 4, 2010 at 5:58:39 pm

Here is the pertinent license section from the HMC-150...

"This product is licensed under the AVC Patent Portfolio License for the personal and non-commercial use of a consumer, and no license is granted or shall be implied for any use other than the personal uses detailed below.
- To encode video in compliance with the AVC standard("AVC Video")

Doesn't specify "playing out directly from the camera". In fact, it only addresses "encoding to the AVC standard". When you record, you encode to the AVC standard. If you charge for recording, therefore, encoding to the AVC standard, then you are in violation of the license agreement.

Now, I certainly don't plan to immediately halt using my 150, and I sure don't expect or advise anyone else to. Just thought it was interesting to note.

Steve Brame
VODSouth

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2010 at 6:19:43 pm

[Steve Brame] "Just thought it was interesting to note."

They talked about this same thing on the Final Cut Pro forum. The consensus seemed to be this: "If you take this seriously, remember two words: 'mountain' and 'molehill'."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on May 4, 2010 at 6:37:58 pm

Impressive...

Steve Brame
VODSouth

Return to posts index