COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suzin Daly
Beginner question
on Apr 27, 2010 at 12:06:21 pm

Panasonic HMC 150, I have been shooting at 720/30P
I would like to shoot at 1080
I would like to understand the difference between
1080/30P (over 60i) and 1080/24P (native recording)

I do understand the p is progressive and i is interlaced and will need to be deinterlaced. I assume that progressive is better since it gives more information.

I would like to understand what it means when it says 1080/30p (over 60i)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Beginner question
on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:07:10 pm

60i is simply the video broadcasting format that 30p is put into- think of 60i in this case as a container. There will be 30p i.e. 30 progressive frames, but they'll be fit into 60 fields of interlaced video. So it will look like 30p to your eyes, but to the TV it will behave like 60i video.

Personally I prefer the look of 24p because it looks more cinematic and high end and 30p looks more like sports or home movies. But that can have its place as well. If you're looking for an overall primer on the HMC150 in terms of how it functions and why, I can't recommend this book highly enough:

http://www.callboxlive.com/products/panasonic-hmc150-book-and-cd

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:10:35 pm

I am taking your advice and ordered a very expensive little book. But if it helps, it will have been worth it.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Apr 29, 2010 at 1:44:35 am

You will hear many rave reviews on the book by Barry Green.
I own it, and read it all the way through when I bought it.
It's a marvelous reference for beginner and intermediate. I still refer to it months later.
It breaks everything down in actual, understandable english.
So, yes, it will have been worth it (even though it seems insane to pay that much for a small book)

Dan S.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]