FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100 blocky footage

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Pastuch
DVX100 blocky footage
on Apr 2, 2010 at 4:47:27 am

I shot some stuff today outside, reviewed on location and it looked fine. I brought it into FCP 7 via firewire (with NTSC/24pA capture settings) and the footage looks awful, especially compared to other stuff I shot. If I zoom in 400% in the viewer on the footage I shot outside, I can see a LOT of video artifacts and blocky pixels. If I zoom 400% on some other stuff I shot a few weeks ago, it's grainy but not blocky.

If you zoom in on the girl's hair as well as the tree, you'll see what I'm talking about. Is this just inherant to the DVX and the way it handles detail, or is there something wrong with my heads? I know of the diagonal edge and chroma blockiness inherent to the DVX, but these colors don't seem so extreme and it seems REALLY REALLY bad to me...

The first two pics are from the outside shoot, the third is from the footage that DOESNT look blocky. I used the same settings for all three grabs:

-24pA to tape (with removed pulldown)
-THIN detail
-Normal Matrix
-Cinelike Gamma
-Detail Level -5
-A. Iris 0
-Master Ped -10

It's on the original dvx in 4:3 aspect ratio. If this is just an instance of DV doing what DV does, is there any way I can deal with it?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVX100 blocky footage
on Apr 4, 2010 at 3:44:30 am

Looks like DV footage to me- a bit overexposed though. Also don't use THIN ever unless this is intended for a film output or an HD upconversion.

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved