FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100B - 60i vs 24PA for Crisp Youtube

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Bell
DVX100B - 60i vs 24PA for Crisp Youtube
on Mar 3, 2010 at 6:59:12 am

Doing my first corporate interview video that will be uploaded to youtube... Any thoughts on the best settings? I know everyone treasures the "film look" of the DVX100B, but what will look most like HD on youtube? Also what are these "upres" plugins all about? Are they worth the time?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: DVX100B - 60i vs 24PA for Crisp Youtube
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:03:12 pm

[Jim Bell] "...what will look most like HD on youtube?"

HD, that's what.

Now if you're talking about 16x9, that's a different story -- use the squeeze mode. 30p or 24pa, it's your choice on frame rate. Just don't forget to remove advanced pulldown from any 24pa stuff.

[Jim Bell] "...what are these "upres" plugins all about? Are they worth the time? "

They add a little bit of resolution to SD pictures blown up to HD. They're okay... just okay. The result won't beat real HD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 4, 2010 at 12:59:00 am

Yeah don't bother with HD- 480p is fine. Shoot 24p, that gives you the most bang for buck in terms of data rate.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:15:00 pm

In my humble opinion, shoot 24pA because from what I've read, true 24p doesn't look as good displayed on standard def TV's. But shooting progressive frame modes is better if your delivery is web. That's because computer screens show the interlacing and it looks terrible.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Mar 4, 2010 at 4:58:22 pm

Does anyone actually know what the technical reasons would be for the comment above that 'true 24p doesn't look good on standard televisions"? Is that for outside the US where SD is still the norm?

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & FCP on MacPro Dual Quads, 12 GB 7.0.1 on 10.6.2

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:10:16 pm

[Alf Hanna] "Is that for outside the US where SD is still the norm? "

Dude, frame rate has nothing to do with resolution.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:07:14 pm

[Trevor Ward] "...shoot 24pA because from what I've read, true 24p doesn't look as good displayed on standard def TV's..."

I agree with shooting 24pa, but not for the reason you give; you may want to double-check what you've been reading.

24p is the classic 3:2 pulldown that's been used since people started showing movies on television. I hope you don't think movies on TV look bad!

24pa is obviously a variant on 3:2 pulldown -- but they didn't invent it for aesthetic reasons, as your reading must have led you to believe. The ONLY reason 24pa exists is to make it easier for computers to remove it, thus giving you 23.976 fps, progressive-scan footage. This frame rate is often incorrectly referred to by its nickname, 23.98.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jim Bell
on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:47:49 am

Thanks Noah,

For youtube 480i: Did you mean shoot 24P or 24PA? Everyone else seems to like 24PA.

Then capture at 29, but edit at 24 for more compact file size/quicker renders? Is this the ultimate youtube formula for dvx?

Bought your DVD by the way, and have already picked a number of valuable tips in the first half hour of viewing...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:10:42 pm

480 is the resolution of standard definition. If you shoot squeeze mode 24pA on the DVX100 you'll be shooting the best possible format for youtube. Then you edit as I show on the video for DV 23.98 timeline (capture at 29.97 with pulldown removal of course) and output to a nice H.264 at 24p and upload that to youtube. Here's an example of a 480p/24p video I did recently to youtube:

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]