FORUMS: list search recent posts

reducing wind noise to the max

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris walker
reducing wind noise to the max
on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:30:56 pm

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I see live weather broadcasts with guys standing in gale-force winds speaking into hand-held mikes, and I can't hear any wind noise at all. Obviously not eliminated in post since it's live, so how do they do that? Is it some absurdly expensive microphone that they use? I ask this because my wireless has to be so buried under clothing that the sound is muffled if I want to avoid unacceptable wind noise, even if the winds are quite mild. And I'm always having to do things like cut out the low frequencies in post to correct for wind noise. What is the best solution if you don't have a lot of money? I have a Sennheiser, which as I mentioned in another thread is always giving me interference problems as well.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: reducing wind noise to the max
on Feb 23, 2010 at 3:22:17 am

A lot of the times they are being composited over the shot... and other times it's a great mic and then they might also put up something right behind the camera to block the wind or shoot with their back up against a building etc.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

chris walker
on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:45:01 pm

I see the wind blowing their hair and their sleeves rippling; it looks like the wind has to be hitting the mike pretty hard. The mike doesn't even look like it has much of a wind filter on it. Maybe there is some kind of sophisticated frequency filter? Anyway, I guess whatever they do costs a bundle..

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:54:07 pm

I suppose it would be the use of a shotgun mic (technically known as a Line+Gradiant Condenser) as a hand held, making sure that the use of, say on my AT897 with the low-end roll off on and a good "softie" as a wind screen? You probably want to practice it to get it right for your setup. But you might try asking over in the audio forum. They are the experts on this.

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & FCP on MacPro Dual Quads, 12 GB 7.0.1 on 10.6.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]