FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC150 editing with mac

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Karliss
HMC150 editing with mac
on Feb 12, 2010 at 10:39:19 pm

Gentlemen and ladies,
I am on the verge of purchasing either an HMC150 or HVX200a. I have a MacBook Pro, intel core two duo, 2.53Ghz, 7200 rpm drive, 4G ram laptop. I'm looking for an experienced opinion that can explain why, from an ease of editing standpoint, I might want one cam' over the other. I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it from someone with more knowledge. Please help. Thank you for your time.

thank you.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HMC150 editing with mac
on Feb 12, 2010 at 10:58:13 pm

Comes down to price really- with either you'll need Final Cut Pro. The HVX200 new is a lot more expensive than the HMC150 and comes with much more expensive media that requires a more specialized reader. But it has better image quality- though not night and day. If you're concerned with budget, the 150 is a solid alternative with dirt cheap SD card media. Basically you can't go wrong with either. Just comes down to what is more important- top image quality or budget.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

John Karliss
on Feb 13, 2010 at 6:41:04 pm

Thank you very much for your response. Let me see if I can be more specific though. My concern has to do with the ease of editing, DVCPRO vs. AVCCAM. I've read that with AVCCAM one would need a quad core processor in their pc/mac for editing. I've not read any similar concerns with the HVX/DVCPro. I guess my question is: 1. How efficient will a dual core mac fair in editing AVCCAM using FCP versus the DVCPro in the HVX. This will be the primary factor in deciding HMC150 or the HVX200a. Please respond. Thank you.

thank you.

Return to posts index

Jim Toscano
on Mar 12, 2010 at 8:56:13 pm

Noah, Why do you NEED FCP? Will Premiere Pro CS4 work with the HMC 150?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Feb 12, 2010 at 11:38:01 pm

There's also the HPX170 - it's basically the same as the HVX-200, but it doesn't have any kind of tape mechanism and the warranty is longer (fewer moving parts?). I like both the 150 and the 170 (and the 200 for that matter). For cost, the 150 is a great choice and I'm really happy with the camera. Also, the 170 and the 150 are basically the same camera only one is P2 and the other is AVCHD on inexpensive SDHC cards - yes, there are other differences and you get what you pay for, too.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 12, 2010 at 11:55:53 pm

Yeah I'd clarify a bit there- the 170 and the 200 are very close other than the removal of the DV deck on the 170. Otherwise- quality of chip, recording format, etc are identical. The 150 is a whole other class- smaller chips, lower quality codec. Still excellent quality and visually quite comparable to the 200/170 but not what I'd call nearly identical.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

John Karliss
on Feb 13, 2010 at 6:48:18 pm

Thank you very much for your response. Please let me be more specific. Budget is not my primary concern at this time. I am concerned about which may be more efficient/quick to edit with, either the AVCCAM codec or the DVCPro codec, i.e the HMC150 or the HVX200a. I've read that with the AVCCAM unless you have a Quad core processor in your comp. (mac) you will either not be able to edit at all or each edit will take a long time to perform. I have not read any such complaints re: the DVCPro in the HVX. That's my concern, if anyone can advise. I have a dual core intel Mac and must stick with that for now. Please let me know if you can. Again, thank you.

thank you.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 13, 2010 at 11:32:56 pm

Well if money is no object- go with the 200. It's a better camera and should be at almost twice the cost. But if your only hesitation about the 150 is the codec- don't sweat it at all. You convert to ProRes on ingest and you're all set. And if you have FCP already you can search for AVCHD footage on the web if you want to be sure.

Noah

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:29:47 pm

You must be pretty frustrated that no one is answering your question. That's one of the problems with this forum. People like to hear themselves speak and they are like politicians or salesmen. So I'LL answer your question.

I've edited both P2 media and AVCCAM media. I have a 2 year old MBP, intel core duo 2.16 I think. 2 GB ram. The main difference is in the time it takes for the Log and Transfer step. Wtih P2 media, you take the info off the cards and perform the Log & Transfer in order to make them editable in FCP. They come in as DVCPro HD clips. My MBP does this fairly quickly. I don't have specs for you, but let's say I had about 30 minutes of clips and it ingested them all in less than 10 minutes. I stepped away to do something and I came back and it was done.

On the other hand, 30 minutes of AVCHD material (720p) will take me about 35-50 minutes to ingest.

Once the footage is ingested, either the DVCPro HD or the ProRes, they edit nearly the SAME. I do notice that the ProRes files are definitely bigger and take more bandwidth and take a bit more computing power when previewing real time (when having multiple streams of HD or doing heavy effects). But I'm on an old laptop and I can have a couple of streams of ProRes no problem.

And with the new Final Cut, you'll be able to transcode into either ProRes LT or ProRes Proxy and then you'll be on par with DVCPro HD in terms of bandwidth and overhead.

Now, as to what you didn't ask: (Hey, I like to hear MYSELF too). The 170 is a better camera than the 200. The 170 is slightly more versatile than the 150 (more codecs and framerates, etc). As far as image, though, the 170 and 150 are nearly identical. The AVCCAM compression is different and some will argue gives a lesser quality image. The 150 has a wider lens and gives a wider depth of field. And the 150 is much cheaper, especially considering the cost of the media.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:54:34 pm

It's worth mentioning something that comes up a lot in 170/200 vs. 150 smackdowns. If you're going to be doing green screen work, the HPX becomes more important. The 150 only does 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, whereas the 170/200 does 4:2:2 — so that's better colour resolution (combined with less compression artifacting) which will make for much better green screen results.

If you don't need the edge on that level, then for regular footage viewed at 100% with the naked eye, there's (arguably) not a very big difference in the image quality between the two cameras.

Return to posts index

Remy Medranda
on Mar 3, 2010 at 10:26:54 pm

Thank You Raven,

Yo just saved me life!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]