FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making the big switch...?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Magcalas
Making the big switch...?
on Feb 10, 2010 at 1:41:07 am

Hello All!

New to the boards - looking for your thoughts/advice, here.

So, we've basically been going along with our DVX 100B since we entered the arena just a few years ago in late 2006. Basically, we kind of taught ourselves how to do things with this camera, a Sennheiser, and our regular iMac with FCP Studio 5.1. These were all pretty good for when we got them, but of course, things have changed.

We'd like to continue by adding another camera in for a documentary we are planning for this summer, but we are very much a bare-bones no-budget kind of company (as in none of our films exceeded $500 in production costs).

Of course, HD is the wave of the present, and yeah that would be nice, but we absolutely cannot afford to buy 2 HD cameras. Also, I don't know that the processing of that sheer volume of info (the doc we're planning would likely have a pretty high shooting ratio) would go so well on our old iMac. Also, we would have to just figure out the whole upgrade to HD, and it would seem pretty silly to continue with one HD and one SD camera.

So, this is why we were looking to get another DVX, maybe used, as we are familiar with it, getting more comfortable with it, and love things like the XLR input. Of course, it might seem silly to pay any amount of money for an SD camera. But, then again this could be a good addition to what we have going already.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Philip Magcalas
Producer
Milk And Cookie Productions
http://www.milkandcookieproductions.com/skinandbone.html

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Making the big switch...?
on Feb 10, 2010 at 10:55:02 pm

What about an AG-HMC40? That's around the price of a DVX100 and gets you into HD. Personally I wouldn't want to shoot anything that's not at least 720p HD 16:9 in 2010 because we're already shooting 4K and 3D. Anything that's SD is going to be difficult to monetize in another few years in terms of broadcast sales, etc. It's just protecting your assets.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Store- Gifts and Gadgets for Editors.

Return to posts index

Philip Magcalas
on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:28:44 pm

What a shame that everything we purchased in order to start up our company is so far on its way to extinct just a few years later.

I guess I'm just concerned that a 2006 iMac with the original final cut studio won't have the power to process all of the HD info. Anyone have experience with making the switch, on a low budget? We pretty much broke the bank on all of that stuff in 2006.

I would think that, along with the switch comes greater cost in getting more memory/hard drives and all...

Also, we have the option of getting a used DVX now for about half the price of the camera you suggested. Looks like a good camera, though...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:20:55 pm

It's totally up to you- I don't know your market but that's pretty much the rules of the game in indie production. I.e. the gear you bought two years ago is largely out of date today. You need to monetize capital equipment as quickly as possible in order to avoid being stuck with outdated gear that you still owe on. Your iMac would be capable of working with footage from an HMC40- it's not a huge amount of extra overhead above regular DV. I'm just saying that being an SD-only production house in 2010 is not a great way to be set up for a long term future. So maybe time to have a serious strategy and business plan meeting with your colleagues going forward. Feel free to contact me off board if you want more advice/counseling. noah at highroadproductions dot com. :)

-Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Store- Gifts and Gadgets for Editors.

Return to posts index

Philip Magcalas
on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:02:22 pm

Thanks a lot, Noah!

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Feb 12, 2010 at 8:34:23 pm

I couldn't agree with Noah more. In fact I'm considering the same thing myself. I am a devoted DVX100 user but it's just time to let SD go. I really want to get my hands on the HMC150 and see if it feels the same. Is there anyone else out there who has made the DVX100 to HMC150 switch? Noah? Does it handle the same, perform well in low light etc?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 12, 2010 at 11:00:57 pm

Yeah the 150 is very much like a DVX100 in terms of ergonomics. There's just more options and a lot of - oh that's cool they added that - type realizations. Really all prosumer Panasonic cameras share a similar button and menu layout.

Noah

Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]