FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grainy/Noisy DVX footage. Why?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Octavio Warnock-Graham
Grainy/Noisy DVX footage. Why?
on Feb 4, 2010 at 8:53:52 pm

I am pulling my hair out on this one. I recently finished a shoot with my DVX 100A and the footage came back looking like I had the gain set to +18db. Grainy and noisy. When I played the tape back in the camera it read 0db so I know the gain was off. I shot at 24p, Cinelike V, 48fps.

In the vectorscope the luminance is spot on so not really underexposed. Also, when it is viewed on a broadcast monitor the noise goes away. Arrrgh, so frustrating.

Here is a link to some footage

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Grainy/Noisy DVX footage. Why?
on Feb 5, 2010 at 2:54:09 pm

Wait I don't get it- you only see grain on the onboard monitor and not anywhere else? Then recalibrate the monitor.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Octavio Warnock-Graham
on Feb 6, 2010 at 5:58:12 pm

Hey Noah,

I actually never saw the grain in the on board. What I meant to say is that when I played the tape back in the DVX the readout in the screen reports the db level and iris level at the time of recording. When I first looked at the captured footage I immediately thought, Dang, I mus have bumped the gain switch to high. When I played the tape back in the camera, tho, it just said 0db.

The footage looks like crap when played back in QT. But when I watch footage output to an NTSC monitor the blur and noise disappears.

O

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 6, 2010 at 6:41:30 pm

Well then don't worry about it- if it looks fine on an NTSC monitor that's your final output.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]