FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Check Card" scare

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
"Check Card" scare
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:42:13 am

I was taking some scouting shots for a job I'm doing in about a week. Partway through, the camera said "Check Card" and the card no longer worked. It's a 16gb Delkin which I've used with no problems for months. Data would not transfer to my FCP either. I put a new card in and it worked fine. Card was formatted on the camera orginally.

The worry is this: How do I know another card won't wonk out on my in the middle of an expensively set-up shoot? I'd be in trouble if that happened. Should I rent a P2 camera, or can I feel safe with my used-to-be-trusty 150?

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: "Check Card" scare
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:32:28 pm

That's pretty rare though I'd suggest springing for the better name brands and higher speed cards just in case.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:37:58 pm

I would concur with Noah on this, don't go for the cheaper card go for the better Brand Name. I have seen failure primarily on the off-brands, and the tough part is with this type of memory and no memory manager like P2, the likelihood of recovery is nil. Yes the SDHC cards are cheaper than P2 but do yourself a favor and don't buy the bargain brands.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HPX300, HPX170, HVX200A
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 29, 2010 at 12:36:32 pm

Appreciate your responses.
I have a couple Delkin (the brand that failed) and two Transcend cards, as well as the one Panasonic card. They're all Class 6. Isn't that fast enough? I've read on other sites/posts where people had the same problem with a Panasonic card.

What would be my safest bet, brand-wise and speed-wise?

Thanks, Dan

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:02:11 pm

Hi Dan,

Though the camera should work with Class 4, note that the new 16GB and 32GB cards available from Panasonic are Class 10. You get what you pay for I guess. I saw some Class 4 cards over at the wholesale club the other day dirt cheap, but I'd be nervous shooting with them on a commercial project

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:38:19 pm

Does anyone have advice about more secure brand names?
As I mentioned, the Delkin Class 6 is the one that failed on me.
I've read at other sites that Panasonic also were problematic in this way.

Is the consensus that Class 10 is more secure than class 6?

Thanks,

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Paul Miley
on Mar 27, 2010 at 6:43:57 pm

Daniel, I've just had a similar problem with a Transcend 16GB card. I brought in actors and actresses from many miles away for a low budget feature to a hired location. On day one everything went smoothly. Shots look fine, day two first part of the day no problem either. Changed card when the first was almost full and I carried on shooting.

We worked through into the evening and stopped for a while. Watched back clips and everything looked fine. Set up for the next shot, switched the camera back on and proceeded. The camera was clocking up the minutes in the viewfinder then suddenly in the middle of a shot the dreaded Check Card message came up.

I shut down the camera for a minute rebooted and same message appeared. Switched off, took card out reinserted it. Same message. Tried again and again with a rising sense of panic. Had to then make a choice, continue with a fresh card and HOPE to recover the clips later or stop and reshoot but be hopelessly behind schedule (we only had the place for one more day - and people had to be elsewhere after that.

I put a 'fresh' 16GB card in, and continued into the night. Next day (well actually same day!), continued on with third card which was still working OK.

Got home and was able to back up everything from cards one and three but the one in between is still not recognised by the camera or any PC that we have. Following guidelines I had previously formatted the cards in camera. I then recorded on each each to capacity as instructed on the forums then deleted the clips ready for use on our feature.

The card is in for possible data recovery at the moment and I'm scared. I really like my HMC camera but I can't shut the thought out that I nearly bought the Sony Z5 instead with built in back up. I keep wondering if I did something wrong but I used a high capacity genuine Panasonic battery and the new card 'died' mid-shot. I was very gentle with the SDHC (it had only been used once before - to maximum.

Searching around I quickly learned that many others have had problems irrespective of which brand card was used (this afternoon I read of someone with the same problem - using 'extreme' Sandisk 16GB cards).

I don't know what the answer is. Is it the card or is it the (fairly new) camera? I noticed that as the cards filled up, then it took a LOT longer to access a clip in the 'play' mode. Painfully slow.

Return to posts index

Jason Teets
on Jun 7, 2010 at 1:45:55 am

Wow. I just had the same exact problem occur to a Transcend 32gb (Class 6) card I was using in the HMC150. I too was shooting something pretty important: a wedding I was paid to cover. I'm now made very nervous by the notion that I won't be able to retrieve any of this footage...

@ Daniel or Paul: Where do you stand with your retrieval? Were you able to recover anything, and - if so - please inform me how.

Thanks,

Jason Teets
Ikonic Images
http://www.ikonicweddings.com

Return to posts index

Paul Miley
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:07:57 pm

Hi Jason

I am very sorry to hear of your problem. I had to send my new card back to Transcend in Holland at my own expense - signed for delivery. They then sent it on to Transcend Taiwan for data recovery. I wasn't told why I was not allowed to send it direct.

After several weeks I received back a brand new card and also a disc. Sadly all the disc contained was three clips for the hours of shots that I had originally captured. I can in fact use these but upset that they did not recover more. There was no explanation as to what the problem was.

I do not ever want to use Transcend red stripe cards again (in fairness though, like others I have never had a problem with the green stripe ones which are made differently/elsewhere).

Also, for this type of low budget work, I will try to stick to smaller cards from now on - 4GB or 8GB only. That way if it happens again I don't lose masses of valuable footage.

I do not think that it was the camera's fault anyway and I have really learned to like the HMC. I feel more comfortable now using Sandisk Extreme III 8GB cards, they feel a bit more robust.

I so hope that you have more luck than I did.

Best wishes

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]