FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC150 to DVD SP footage looks like VHS help?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Clark
HMC150 to DVD SP footage looks like VHS help?
on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:01:00 pm

I need some serious HMC150 advice. I just shot a wedding 720p 30fps and logged and transfered in FCP. Footage is wrapped in Apple ProRes 422.
when i send to compressor and use "best 90 minute" the footage looks like crappy VHS aliased film in DVD SP.
I've tried 30 different work-arounds to NO avail. I'm at the end of my rope. I have a client breathing down my neck but I don't want to give them VHS looking footage when I filmed on HD.

One more thing the slo-mo footage is also jagged and not smooth like you would expect in progressive mode.

I am surely not the only one experiencing this issue.

If you shoot on the HMC150 and 720p 30 going to DVD SP I would LOVE your advice and insights before I go totally crazy.
thanks for any and all advice.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HMC150 to DVD SP footage looks like VHS help?
on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:26:23 pm

This is viewing in DVDSP's simulator or viewing a burned disc on a DVD player?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Lance Clark
on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:26:36 pm

The viewing of the sd dvd is on several DVD players that i have. I'm completely stunned by the low quality and almost LP VHS look that i'm getting. I guess I assumed that filming in 720p 30 on AVCHD and then rapping in prores, editing in FCP 7, exporting to compressor would result in sweet looking HD quality. It must be something i'm missing in the workflow. have you run into this at all? thanks for any and all advice. like I said earlier Ive exported several ways even going to QT first and then to Compressor to no avail. the footage always looks lousy but the oritignal files are amazing quality.

Return to posts index

Lance Clark
on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:37:38 am

Noah,
I just bought a brand new mac pro a few weeks ago with a ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card. do you think that the card is malfunctioning and could that effect the quality of video? I just can't figure any of this out. makes no sense.
thanks

Return to posts index

Craig McGillivray
on Jan 28, 2010 at 8:57:13 pm

turn on frame controls in the inspector in Compressor, it helps with the resize. You're never going to get 'sweet looking HD', because you're making a Standard Def DVD, but turning on frame controls, and setting the other image controls to best quality will give you the best SD look you can get. It's gonna take a good bit longer to render the mpeg though.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:35:17 pm

Are you encoding as 60i- that should be your compressor setting- high quality, etc.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Lance Clark
on Feb 3, 2010 at 2:22:49 am

please excuse my ignorance but how do I "encode" at 60i in compressor? I don't see where I can make that selection

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 5, 2010 at 2:56:26 pm

60i = 29.97 Interlaced.

Noah

Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Lance Clark
on Jan 29, 2010 at 12:28:03 am

Noah,
I just exported my project again via quicktime as a self contained file. then I imported it to compressor and set it best 90 minutes. the outcome was the same. the video looks aliased on all sharp edges and in slo motion the footage looks a bit strobed. all the footage reminds me of vhs. do you think it has anything to do with my new Mac Pro 2.93 quad pro, 8 gig of ram, and also an upgraded ATI radeon 4750 graphics card???
thanks for any advice.
Lance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]