FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Settings for Film Look on HMC150

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Brodeur
Best Settings for Film Look on HMC150
on Jan 24, 2010 at 3:32:23 am

I have an HMC150 and I can't seem to get my footage to look half as good as the many test shots various people around the internet have posted.

Are there any recommended settings to use to get the best quality somewhat film look using this camera...

Also, I was wondering what codec to convert it to because I was told in a previous post not to use the AVCHD for final.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Best Settings for Film Look on HMC150
on Jan 24, 2010 at 6:50:09 am

How's your lighting and cinematography? You don't just get film look by turning on the camera. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Kyle Brodeur
on Jan 24, 2010 at 6:56:28 am

Haha... Of course not.

We have a basic three-point light set up, we are new at this so its not perfect. I really didn't do a good job at forming a question, sorry about that. I'm having a lot of problems getting the grain out of the image even in sufficient lighting(gain switch is at L which = 0). I was just wondering if someone had any suggestions besides lighting on setting up this camera for the best quality(maybe key areas to focus on) possible with a three point light rig.

Return to posts index

Gord Stephen
on Jan 24, 2010 at 10:40:35 pm

Sometimes a really noisy image can mean that you need to black balance the camera - some people even BB every time they turn the camera on. You could also try turning down Detail and V-Detail and turning up Detail Coring in your scene file settings.

Hope that helps - if not, maybe try resetting the camera?

Gord

Gord Stephen, DP, Editor - Ottawa/Kingston, Ontario

Return to posts index

Kyle Brodeur
on Jan 24, 2010 at 10:42:45 pm

I've reset my camera before and it still was looking really bad.

I've done black balance one but I'll mess with it again and also try the other settings and get back with the results.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:46:57 pm

Post some examples- excessive grain typically indicates underexposure.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Kyle Brodeur
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:48:16 pm

I see... I will post some soon.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Feb 1, 2010 at 7:07:13 pm

If you haven't done so already, make sure you grab and use an 18% grey card. Don't kill your budget buying one, but get a good one you can use many, many times. I'm sure you've white balanced, but grey-balancing is vital, too. Here's a good tutorial:

http://www.izzyvideo.com/2009/05/09/getting-a-good-exposure-with-an-18-gray...

He provides a link to a decent little 12" one and offers other things you can use to balance your video.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]