FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another HMC150 vs HVX200 question

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Another HMC150 vs HVX200 question
on Jan 6, 2010 at 11:42:53 pm

I had a different, but related, question about the two cameras.

I own the HMC150, but for a job will be needing to rent and use the HVX200.
The question is for anyone who's used both cameras. I'm quite comfortable with the 150. How different are the controls/settings/lens from the 200? In other words, if I rent the 200 for a job, will I be able to use it without practice...will it almost feel like the same camera?

Thanks much,

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Another HMC150 vs HVX200 question
on Jan 8, 2010 at 2:02:02 am

They're pretty similar- you might actually find that you get a bit jealous of some of the 150 features like the built-in waveform.

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 8, 2010 at 1:35:02 pm

Noan, do you think the two cameras would be a good match for a 2-camera setup?

Also, unrelated...does the HMC150 take stills? I heard it did but couldn't find anything in the manual about it.

Thanks!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 8, 2010 at 11:50:09 pm

Yes and no

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 9, 2010 at 7:53:42 pm

Yes to 2-cams, I assume.
Any tips? Best/easiest to shoot with the two cams and then use waveforms (clap) to sync in FCP? Or is there a better way?

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 10, 2010 at 11:49:46 pm

Or a slate- those are always nicer to work with than hand clapping...

Noah

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 14, 2010 at 11:34:44 pm

Another related question. I might be doing a shoot with a photographer who has the Canon Mark II. What do you think of her using it as a 2nd camera for some of the parts of the shoot that need 2 cams? My fear is that the beautiful Mark II footage would look much better than the HMC150 (shallow depth of field, etc). Do you think they'd blend on a FCP timeline, or would it look odd?

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Gord Stephen
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:57:32 pm

No personal experience with this, but from what I've heard it's hard to match the HMC150 and 5DMkII looks... which does makes sense when you think about the differences in sensor size and type, different colour & encoding algorithms, etc. That being said, if you really need two cameras and don't have a rental budget... Well, do what you have to do, just make sure you run tests first.

From a technical perspective, editing should be fine as you're converting everything to ProRes anyways. Hope that helps.

Gord Stephen, DP, Editor - Kingston/Ottawa, Ontario

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 22, 2010 at 12:35:51 am

I'm wondering if matching the two cameras would be better/easier if I use a DOP adaptor (Lexus Extreme) on the 150?

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Gord Stephen
on Jan 23, 2010 at 3:57:42 pm

Hmm... it would solve your DOF problem, but you would probably still need to do some fiddly post work to get the colors to match...

There's the lighting/exposure issue as well, the cameras have different sensitivities - if you're using the same aperture on both lenses to match DOF, you'll need to light for the 150 and match the 5D's exposure with ISO adjustments/ND filters.

The 150 puts out a softer image (the adapter will only make it softer if anything) and the 5D's pretty sharp, so that's something else to consider too.

Don't know if you've seen this - someone else's take: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=43678

At the end of the day though, all that really matters is your test results and whether or not you're happy with them... you'll never know until you try.

If you give it a try, post back about how it goes... I'd be interested to hear your results.

Gord

Gord Stephen, DP, Editor - Ottawa/Kingston, Ontario

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]