FORUMS: list search recent posts

10 bit SD Cameras

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Binny Singh
10 bit SD Cameras
on Jan 1, 2010 at 11:22:45 pm

Hi Friends

I am looking for a camera that can shoot atleast 10 bit SD and on a tape. As i understand a used Panasonic AJ-SDX900 could be one of my options.

Does panasonic have any other option. I have pretty much checked out all their webpages but found nothing. Just wanted to double check with you guys.

Thanx

Binny

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 10 bit SD Cameras
on Jan 3, 2010 at 7:03:28 am

You mean in the camera or on the tape- DVCPROHD is 8-bit, though the camera uses a 12-bit A/D conversion. What's the purpose? 10-bit in camera is typically unnecessary in most situations and going to be very expensive if tape is a requirement- as in HDCAM SR would be needed.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Binny Singh
on Jan 3, 2010 at 8:22:45 am

Hey Noah

I thought AJ-SDX900 could shoot only DVCPRO50. Can it shoot DVCPRO HD as well?

Sorry if i confused you but i am myself very confused!

See my major concern is that i want to get a camera that could give me SD footage with 4:2:2 color sampling. And DVCPRO50 offers this color sampling. Right?

Now my question is that besides AJ-SDX900 what other SD formats & cameras can give me 4:2:2 color sampling?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 3, 2010 at 1:42:19 pm

Sure DVCPRO50- also not 10-bit. But again for what purpose?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Binny Singh
on Jan 3, 2010 at 8:19:23 pm

My works involves lots of Chroma keyeing & color correction. For that reason I think 4:2:2 color sampling would be better.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 4, 2010 at 5:23:32 am

I've gotten good keys off a DV camera- the trick is proper lighting. Nail that and your camera format is less of an issue. That said, an SD camera is not neccessarily the best call. I'd suggest an HD camera such as a HPX300 or a Sony EX3 and perhaps an AJA KI Pro- which would allow to bypass the onboard compression and capture directly to ProRes. Of course it depends greatly on your budget. Also capturing to tape is kind of old hat these days...

Noah

Return to posts index

Binny Singh
on Jan 4, 2010 at 5:43:08 am

Thanx Noah!

After much thought I have decided to go with Panasonic HVX-200a. It can shoot DVCPRO HD, DVCPRO50 on P2 cards & DV on tape. I did'nt want to be totally dependent on P2 cards as they are expensive as compared to tape.

My only problem with HVX-200a is that its not a shoulder mount camera, but I guess I can live with that!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]