FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound recording - thoughts on time code devices?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alf Hanna
Sound recording - thoughts on time code devices?
on Dec 29, 2009 at 7:55:13 pm

So I'm wondering what folks are using to capture off camera sound these days with the HMC-150. I'm being pressured (g) to get the Sound Devices unit from a musical friend of mine, and yes, it is a fabulous device. However, I see the Oade Brothers modified Tascam HDP2 CF recorder, for what, $1000+ less? While it may not have quite the cachet of the SD, it *seems* to be able to record quality sound for my film needs.

Are any of you using either of these devices to capture sound with your shoot? And are you also using a field mixer with this??? If so, which one?

I'd hate to buy too much, but it seems that having the mixer first, and renting or borrowing the recorder unit seems to be the better deal. (I'm hours from a rental shop, and have a lot of musical friends around with high quality gear).

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & Vegas Video 9.0c on Win7/64bit

Return to posts index

John Gleason
Re: Sound recording - thoughts on time code devices?
on Jan 2, 2010 at 9:27:01 pm

I second this question. Right now I have a Audio Technica 4073a shotgun going straight into the camera (HMC150) but I potentially see a field mixer on the horizon.

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:37:38 am

been a week, trying again. What's folks using to capture sound into the HMC 150? Looking for recommendations on Sound Devices, maybe Oade Brothers modded Tascam...I hate buying cheap,(as if Oade's is cheap) and I seem to always upgrade, but cost is cost...and it seems that a mixer is probably the next thing I should get, before a recorder...any thoughts here?

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & FCP on MacPro Dual Quads, 12 GB 7.0.1 on 10.6.2
also - Vegas Video 9.0c on Win7/64bit

Return to posts index

John Welsh
on May 28, 2010 at 1:39:43 am

I'm now in the same place you were when you first posted about the Tascam...any discoveries about what works well with the HMC150?

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on May 31, 2010 at 6:59:07 pm

To get around the limited audio range of the HMC150 ( about 60 dB ), I use a Sound Devices MixPre mixer ( runs all day on 2 AA batteries ) and feed the tape out to an Olympus LS-11 digital recorder ( runs for 20+ hours on 2 AA batteries ), and have been very happy with the quality of the audio. This also gives me the option of feeding the LINE LEVEL audio from the MixPre mixer to my HMC150.

I really wish that Panasonic would fix this noise problem, because there is no reason why the sound on the HMC150 should be worse than the HPX170. ( I sometimes wonder if the noisy audio was intentional )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]