FORUMS: list search recent posts

Air travel with HMC-150 in carry on

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastien Gravel
Air travel with HMC-150 in carry on
on Dec 29, 2009 at 3:53:24 pm

Well, title says it all... With all the restrictions going on, do you think bringin an HMC-150 in a camcorder backpack though nation and international flight be possible? What are my options?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
Re: Air travel with HMC-150 in carry on
on Dec 29, 2009 at 6:15:30 pm

Last I traveled with gear domestically was early december and internationally was august. I travel with a lowe pro backpack and put my HMC150, laptop, and external drive in there. I haven't had problems. On my international flight, I actually had all that plus a dvx100. It was way over the weight restriction but I kept it on my back when I checked in and no one bothered to weigh it.

Having said all that, I'm seriously considering buying a pelican case and just checking it. The backpack is quite heavy with all that in there and the pelican would give me peace of mind that nothing will break. TSA lock will protect/deter from theft.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Dec 29, 2009 at 7:45:42 pm

Only caveat to checking it is that I've had my luggage end up sitting in a downpour on the tarmac at Houston, got the bags back thoroughly soaked. If you get a Pelican, make sure it's going to be watertight. Wouldn't metal be better than Pelican plastic for shipment???

FYI...I just bought a Petrol PCBP-1 backpack. It's a bit tight of fit for the HMC-150, but it feels more like a standard backback, in fit and size. I'm planning on using it for backcountry work. It's quite light, but a bit bulky, as they all are.

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & Vegas Video 9.0c on Win7/64bit

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Dec 29, 2009 at 8:03:16 pm

If I do get a pelican, I'll put my clothes and laptop in the backpack and carry that on. Then, once I'm in country, I can put the camera in the backpack and it makes it easy to pop that thing on your back and have your hands free to run down busses and fight off pick pockets.

-tw

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Sebastien Gravel
on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:23:56 pm

Well, I do have a Petrol backpack that I used previously for air travel. I'm just not sure with the current conditions whether it will be ok or not...

Return to posts index

Mark Whalen
on Dec 30, 2009 at 10:12:47 pm

I agree both Trevor's posts. I recently traveled across the country for a project and carried my HMC, lights, mics, related gear, and a monopod in a Petrol backpack without any security/airline problems. The pack does tend to get heavy when running to make connections though.

Return to posts index

Sebastien Gravel
on Jan 18, 2010 at 2:38:13 pm

Well, made it there and back! Went as a carry on with no problem!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Jan 18, 2010 at 2:54:37 pm

Good to hear. I'm leaving for India again tomorrow. Bought a Pelican 1620. For going there, I'll put the camera in my carry on. When coming back, I'll put the camera in the case. Can't afford to have the luggage land up in another airport.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

nelson castillo
on Mar 4, 2010 at 6:41:08 pm

hey, guys...... do not check in the camera and batteries..... 1.: there is a warning for lithium batteries in cargo, they can explode. 2.: your camera is very sensitive and worth some good money. do you want to put in a place cold and "shaky" with ramp agents handling it like a piece of meat?
i am a news photographer and i've been traveling quite a lot, my friends of the tsa they know that our cameras are our life, and the flight attendants will tell you to put it between your legs. i rather carry on my laptop and my camera than having to worry about late check-ins and traveling luggage all-around the world. the tripod, the light and other equipment can go thru cargo. it is a mistake not have your camera with you when traveling..... maybe you can miss a moment in the plane

Return to posts index

katy kavanaugh
Re: Air travel with Panasonic DVX100b, harddrive & MacBook in carry on
on Jan 28, 2012 at 7:13:50 pm

Hi, thanks for your informative inputs. Wanted to add that I just traveled Air France and was restricted
to 12 Kilos total for carry - on. I carry on a Panasonic DVX100b, a Lacie harddrive and a 15" MacBook Pro. I carry the camera and harddrive in the interior of a Swiss Army carry on and computer in a flat Case Logic backpack. All fit properly in carry on and had gone over to the US on the same carrier with no fuss. I grilled the desk agent a bit. She could only tell me it was because of the weight in the overhead compartments. Ended up paying extra and carrying my delicate stuff on. 12 kilos barely covers the equipment bags.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]