FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Code sync and HMC-150...

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alf Hanna
Time Code sync and HMC-150...
on Dec 24, 2009 at 6:05:23 am

Ok. Given the other post along a similar line. Rephrasing this post so I get it straight though I have read the manual numerous times:

I have a Panasonioc HMC-150 and want to sync a portable,high-resolution audio recorder with time code. The camera uses RCA out. The audio devices use BNC or another type of connector. Does anyone have a solution to make the sync work? I want to set free run TC to both then disconnect and match audio up with TC in edit.

What are the caveats on this particular camera with tc?

I've read the manual and Barry Green's book. It seems I should be able to sync to something like a slate or Sound Devices 702T deck. What's the thoughts? Is someone actually doing this with this camera before I sink a $1000 into a slate or $2K+ into an external audio record device with TC? Or is it unnecessary?

I know this isn't a 'pro' camera, but I assume I'm capable of getting this sound issue all together. Sound is great throught the twin XLRs as it is already. But looking to upgrade the kit.

On another note, I lost the thread of the plug in that is out there for Vegas to sync audio without timecode via software. Can anyone refresh my Favorites location to the company that offers that plug in? That might solve some short term simple problems.

Thanks in advance.

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & Vegas Video 9.0c on Win7/64bit

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Time Code sync and HMC-150...
on Dec 24, 2009 at 5:39:05 pm

Well, I don't have multiple cameras to play with and the HMC150 manual specifies setup for a Master/Slave multi-cam deal, but nothing for inserting an external TC device. The 702 seems a lot more versatile than the HMC150, though. Looks like you may need to convert cables to make the setup work. I would just get an RCA to AES/SPDIF cable and give it a shot. I'm betting something like this just takes some practice that manuals just won't cover specific applications. Do you already have the camera and recorder? I'm thinking you would set the recorder as master, then the cameras as slaves. I'm interested to know how this turns out!

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
Re: Time Code sync and HMC-150...
on Dec 24, 2009 at 11:46:18 pm

Have the camera, but the question arises because I'm considering the recorder, but did not want to get it if it didn't work. After the holidays I'll try contacting both SD and Panasonic reps to see if anyone has actually made it work. By what I read in Barry's great book on the HMC150, it seems that it *should* work. Thanks for your input. When I get it working I'll repost here, but it might be later next month.

The second part of the question is whether I *need* to be considering the SD field mixer or does the recorder do enough of a mix to not need the mixer? Or is all this all overkill and is there enough quality of sound and mix ability in the camera that I probably won't need either of these add ons unless I'm shooting music or work with more than two mics?

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & Vegas Video 9.0c on Win7/64bit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]