FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100BP - Letterbox vs. Squeeze

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Zeher
DVX100BP - Letterbox vs. Squeeze
on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:15:40 pm

Just wanted some outside opinions on what would be best to work with for video footage that would better stand the test of time, and would also be more useful for compositing purposes in After Effects.

I know the DVX doesn't have a native 16:9 sensor, so the choice between letterbox and squeeze doesn't seem like it would be that big of a difference.

If I go with letterbox, I would probably crop off the black bars for online distribution anyway, and end up with a 640x360 widescreen video file.

With squeeze, I can set the After Effects file to 852x480 (or whatever that resolution is) and theoretically have a higher resolution file. Will it really retain the same quality as the lower-res video file though, since it's the same data just being stretched more?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: DVX100BP - Letterbox vs. Squeeze
on Dec 15, 2009 at 11:01:50 pm

[Matt Zeher] "...Just wanted some outside opinions on what would be best to work with for video footage that would better stand the test of time, and would also be more useful for compositing purposes in After Effects. "

What kind of compositing? Chroma key? Don't expect miracles from DV, even if it's perfectly-lit. The reason: DV has lousy color resolution, almost as bad as HDV.

What's color resolution? Watch this video podcast and find out:
http://macbreak.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=70596

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Zeher
on Dec 16, 2009 at 5:10:55 am

By compositing, I mean just whatever I'll be doing in After Effects, like masking things out, rotoscoping, titles, etc... I'm a student with easy access to DVX100 cameras, so I'm mostly just experimenting around with different things.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 16, 2009 at 5:13:51 pm

Oh, well, for fooling around and learning purposes, it's tough to beat a DVX! You can do virtually all the same things you can with an HD camera, but without the high storage and processing overheads inherent in HD. It's a great learning tool.

You can even shoot chroma key, but you just have to understand that it's virtually impossible to get it looking right.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 15, 2009 at 11:04:09 pm

Make a huge difference- never, ever use Letterbox. All that does is superimpose black bars on a 4:3 image- you are covering up part of your frame. And getting an image that's almost useless in post. If you don't want a square 4:3 frame, you want Squeeze. That gives you the closest to 16:9 native you can get with the DVX100.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]