FORUMS: list search recent posts

Going HD...

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Tincu
Going HD...
on Nov 27, 2009 at 5:56:57 am

Ok, I’m finally making the jump from SD to HD…better late then never, right?
I feel like I did when I first started working with DV footage about eight years ago…confussed! I think I have decided on a Panny HMC150, cant afford P2 technology, need 3CCD’s for weddings and sports, and like the price point.
However I’m using FCP 6 on a dual 2.66 intel mac, with 2 Ghz of ram.
Sooooo, I need a little guidance on what I need to beef up so I’m ready for my new camera.
I obviously need more ram, I’m thinking an additional 6 Ghz (8 total). I also need more hard drive space, I’m thinking 4 GB. But should I be looking at an external solution like G tech, or a couple internal HDD’s? Finally, I need an external HD monitor solution… whats the most bang for the buck? I cant afford a real HD monitor so I was thinking a nice 1080p tv and maybe a black magic card? Would this work for a start?
Most of the work I do is weddings, sports, and events.
This is all new to me, up till now it has all been SD shooting and editing, so any advice would be really helpful.
Thanks.
-Shane

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Going HD...
on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:04:11 pm

What other software do you normally run? What applications to you like to keep open a lot? For example, After Effects can use up to 4 GB per core in its Multiprocessing mode... and you don't want to starve the operating system or any other applications you have open at the same time, either.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Tincu
on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:32:37 pm

FCP 6, maybe 7 soon... Photoshop CS3... I try not to run a lot at the same time.
-Shane

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 27, 2009 at 9:00:07 pm

You ought to be okay for RAM then. But this bothers me:

[Shane Tincu] "I also need more hard drive space, I’m thinking 4 GB."

That figure has to be a typo. You're going to need a bunch more that that. Especially since it's best in FCP to capture in ProRes, not HDV. Personally, I'd go with 1 TB at the very least.

But am I off base? I sure could be. What kind to get, and what about monitoring? I don't put systems together... someone else who's more knowledgeable will have to answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Tincu
on Nov 27, 2009 at 11:35:51 pm

Yea... total typo, I meant 4TB, not 4GB.
Thanks.
-Shane

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:39:06 pm

I'm using a MBP that is 2 years old. 3 GB RAM, 2.16 GHZ intel duo core chip. This machine is fast enough to edit, etc. The only real slowdown for me is the transcoding process in ProRez. This is primarily due to the slower processor. You should be fine. I'd have 3 hard drives if I were you:

1. 1 TB hard drive for the media files. Perhaps a RAID 0. ProRez files aren't small.
2. Two 500 GB hard drives for archiving your original media. Since you wont have tapes, you'll need hard drives for back up. You'll want two in case one fails. Or should I say, you'll want two for WHEN one fails. If you don't like using hard drives for this, then go the Blu Ray archive route.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]