FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC150 webcast

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Schwartz
HMC150 webcast
on Nov 24, 2009 at 3:59:17 am

I have an HMC150 and have been requested by a client to webcast a live shoot while I record it. I'm assuming I can do this with the HDMI output going into my computer while still being able to record the video. However, I don't know how to bring in the HDMI into my macbook laptop. Anyone know what I need to use? An I/O box? Any software needed?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HMC150 webcast
on Nov 24, 2009 at 1:29:57 pm

Yeah something from AJA or Blackmagic would be needed...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Michael Schwartz
on Nov 24, 2009 at 3:42:43 pm

Hey Noah--thanks for the response. Any idea on which box to recommend? What does it convert the HDMI to? Firewire? Is there software needed to webcast with the different boxes? Anyone actually using the HMC150 for webcasting that can give me their 2 cents on what works best?

thanks,
Michael

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 25, 2009 at 8:04:55 pm

Hi Michael,

No such thing as HDMI to 1394 converter. Looking at your camera specs, it mentions a composite out, which suggests that the camera offers an SD output (downconverted).

If you can get a standard-def output via RCA cable (plus RCA stereo audio) while recording HD, then you can use a converter such as the Grass Valley ADVC-300, which converts analog signals to Firewire and vice-versa. I just checked with Telestream and they do support this workflow.

Connect camera output to ADVC-300, and Firewire from the converter to MacBook, and WireCast3 will stream your video to the web.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Michael Schwartz
on Nov 25, 2009 at 8:48:15 pm

Thanks. I also found this: Grass Valley ADVC-HD50 Real-Time HDMI to HDV. I'm thinking this might work and give me a better looking image and allow for the audio and video to be linked via one connection. Anyone use this for the purpose of webcasting live while recording on the HMC150?

I appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:24:51 pm

You learn something every day, didn't know about the HDV converter!
I've put a request in to Telestream asking if the ADVC-50 works with Wirecast3 (using their HDV upgrade option). Will let you know what I find.

I see the ADVC-50 retails for about $1k, not sure how that fits the budget, in addition to Wirecast3 plus HDV option.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

Michael Schwartz
on Nov 25, 2009 at 10:08:04 pm

It's more like $650 in the real world. So, with the telestream plus HD and cables, looks like $1,300 total. I've not used telestream--but is it needed? Are there free webstream services out there?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 25, 2009 at 6:08:38 pm

I'm assuming you need to stream live. I don't know of any streaming hardware that accepts HDMI. Products like the Wirecast 3 software from Telestream accept Firewire or USB camera inputs, or there are (more expensive) hardware-based units, but they are looking for an SD analog input.

If I figure anything out for your situtation, I'll let you know

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Michael Schwartz
on Nov 25, 2009 at 7:00:11 pm

Yes--looking to stream live and record at the same time. Is there a hardware solution that converts the HDMI to SD via firewire?

thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]