FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100a repair

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Smith Glover
DVX100a repair
on Nov 11, 2009 at 11:12:16 pm

i need to have my DVX 100a serviced- the audio jack is busted and no sounds is coming through the headphones. anyone know where i can get it repaired in LA (hopefully the west side)? i can't find anything on the panasonic website to help out.

Return to posts index

Mark Alexander
Re: DVX100a repair
on Nov 12, 2009 at 12:38:08 am

Can't help with the west side but in Burbank you can take it to Computer Works Technology, 711 S. Victory Blvd. (818) 840-1870. They've taken good care of my DVX before.

Mark

Return to posts index

Cami Kidder
Re: DVX100a repair
on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:13:22 pm

I just had my Panasonic DVX-100a repaired at The Video Clinic in Santa Monica, and have some concerns about my experience that I need to share. While I do not doubt that the gentleman who owns the shop is qualified to repair equipment, his customer service skills are very lacking. I was told they charge a $140 diagnostic fee, payable up front. I asked what that means. He told me that they apply the fee to the repair cost, but charge the fee to evaluate what is wrong. I also asked about a head cleaning, and he said it was included.

When I dropped the camera off, he noted there was no lens cap. I mentioned that I would like to replace it, but have only found aftermarket ones. He said, "We can get you a lens cap."

When the estimate came in at over $1000 for a firewire and headphone jack repair, I balked and he got a little hostile. This is a great little workhorse camera, but I will be upgrading to HD soon, so did not think that spending $1000 on this camera made sense. He said I would forfeit my $140 if I did not get the camera repaired. I asked about the cleaning, and he said it costs $308 and is only included if you get the camera repaired. He started using all sorts of techinical jargon to describe what was wrong. I told him I did not understand what he was saying. I had to ask him "talk to me like I don't repair cameras for a living."

I asked how much to just repair the headphone jack. He came back with $540+. I said and that will include the cleaning, he said yes.
Since I needed the cleaning and had already paid $140, I agreed.

Before I even picked up my camera, he ran my credit card number again for the additional $400! Which seemed really shady to me. And he charged me $38 for the lens cap.

Maybe I am naive, but "cleaning included" and "we can get you a lens cap" seemed like this services would be thrown in to make me a happy customer.

The repair seems sound, he provided me with the replaced parts, and the camera was ready ahead of the promised time, but I still feel uncomfortable with how I was dealt with as a customer. And next time, think I will look for another service provider.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]