FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC150 x Z1

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcelo Navarro
HMC150 x Z1
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:31:34 am

Friends...

I've been a wedding videographer over 15 years... I already worked with VHS, S-VHS, 8mm, Hi-8, Mini DV and now HDV...

I have 2 Z1 and I got some problems with HDV format... So, let me post my doubts...

1 - In HDV we have macroblocks under fast light changes... As example, under disco light (here in Brazil, wedding receptions is like a night club, with a lot of strobe lights), under photos flashes... The next frame after a flash, it distorts a lot... If anyone wants, I can mail some pictures, to see what I'm saying... I know that it is a problem with HDV codec... Do I have macroblocks with AVCHD Codec ? Specially under photo flashes and strobe lights ?

2 - With Z1, sometimes we get the oil paint "effect"... Do I have this problem with HMC150 ?

3 - Can I edit AVCHD format with Final Cut Studio 3 (I mean a native way, without conversions) ? Also, will it work with an iMAC, dual core 2.4 GHZ, 2 GB of RAM (this is my computer configuration that I use to edit HDV footage) ? So, if not, what is the minimum configuration to edit AVCHD with Final Cut Studio 3 ?

4 - I read that HMC150 does not delivery true HD (1920x1080), that it does some pixel interpolation (as HDV that changes 1440x1080 o 1920x1080)... Is it true? Anyway, wich camera has a best video resolution, a greater image quality, Z1 or HMC150 ?

5- Wich one is better under low light condition, Z1 or HMC150 ? Both has 3 lux, as I could check at bhphotovideo.com ...

Thanks a lot for you help.

Regards,

Marcelo Navarro

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HMC150 x Z1
on Oct 23, 2009 at 3:25:34 am

1- AVCHD is specifically designed to minimize macroblocking.

2-Not sure what that is...

3-You are good to go to edit with that system.

4- it is as true as 1920x1080 as any camera of its class.

5- Matter of opinion, depends on how much noise you can live with.

Get a demo of a 150- it's a sweet camera and IMHO a quantum leap over your z1.

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Marcelo Navarro
on Oct 23, 2009 at 9:31:33 am

Noah, thanks a lot for your time and attention.

So, overall, HMC150 is much better tahn Z1, right?

Just one more doubt... If AVCHD system, in this case HMC150 does not deliver true HD, wich system/camcorder does it? XDCAM EX, as EX1, does true HD ?

Thanks again.

Marcelo

Return to posts index

Marcelo Navarro
on Oct 23, 2009 at 9:32:54 am

Noah, thanks a lot for your time and attention.

So, overall, HMC150 is much better tahn Z1, right?

Just one more doubt... If AVCHD, in this case HMC150 does not deliver true HD, wich system/camcorder does it? XDCAM EX, as EX1, does true HD ?

Thanks again.

Marcelo

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 23, 2009 at 3:45:45 pm

What is 'true hd' these days? It's not what you see on a Blu-ray or over the air or on satellite- those are all compressed some more than AVCHD. I'd call true-HD something like uncompressed HD or ProRes 4444, but no camera is going to be shooting that...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Scott Hayes
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:11:07 pm

i made the jump from Sony to Panasonic earlier this year. the HMC150 delivers gorgeous video. It is clean and the noise levels certainly look better than the Z1. I am currently editing a wedding shot by my 2nd crew with Z1s, and truthfully, after editing the panasonic stuff, this footage looks horrible in low light. do yourself a favor and upgrade.

Return to posts index

Marcelo Navarro
on Dec 4, 2009 at 12:37:46 am

Thanks a lot, I will upgrade, I'm just waiting my international credit card to buy a HMC150, then I will make some tests, after I will get another one.

Best Regards.

Marcelo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]