FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Stuttering" problem with HMC150 footage

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
"Stuttering" problem with HMC150 footage
on Oct 16, 2009 at 1:51:31 am

I'm using HMC150 footage on FCP 6.0.6 on a new macbook pro, 8 gigs ram.
I notice a problem when panning or an object is moving across the screen...the movment is not smooth, it skips and jumps, seemingly randomly. FCP is set to pro res 422, and I set QT to High Performance in preferences. It still does that. It concerns me because the problem is not there when using similar footage (1080/30p) from a Sony XD CAM. That footage looks smooth, both in FCP and quicktime.

Am I doing something wrong? I really hope it's not a flaw of this camera? Too late to return it, and I love it otherwise!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Tash Glenn
Re: "Stuttering" problem with HMC150 footage
on Oct 16, 2009 at 2:28:01 am

Im having the same issues...Does anyone know what the best time line setting for 1080/60i SD cards Panasonic HMC-150 is?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 16, 2009 at 2:58:41 am

As in frame skipping- meaning your hard drive is not fast enough to play back Pro Res. Or as in strobing- meaning you shot fast moving motion too fast or without sufficient shutter.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Tash Glenn
on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:13:46 am

I believe i zoomed out too fast because it happens with two shots and the rest of the video looks fine, i slowed the clip down 75% and I tried smoothcam filter too but that didnt look good either...any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 16, 2009 at 1:41:25 pm

Live and learn...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Oct 16, 2009 at 10:27:05 am

It's not the stobing issue, because I took care to pan very slowly. It's the skipping. Would it be a hard drive issue? I ordered the 7200 rpm hard drive for the 17" macbook Pro. I thought that would be fast enough. I also have an external 7200 ESATA drive, but haven't been using it, because it's convenient to edit without hooking up to it.

But why would the problem happen on the HMC150 footage and not on the other HD footage from the Sony?

Appreciate your help!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:47:35 pm

That's not fast enough for ProRes- especially HQ mode. Try the ESATA.

Noah

Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Oct 17, 2009 at 6:12:53 pm

I will, once I get back to my ESATA External. So, is this a problem only in playback? In other words, do I need to transcode the footage again?

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 18, 2009 at 4:46:47 pm

Probably will be fine- you'll know by looking at it.

Noah

Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Nov 3, 2009 at 11:20:53 am

Hi Noah,

I tried playing back using the ESATA external drive, and I'm still having the same problem. The scene is of a school bus, rather close up, moving from one side of the screen to the other. If you care to take a look, the video's playing on our website at http://www.scholastic.com/administrator. It's one of the early scenes in the video within the first minute.

Interestingly, I had a videographer shoot a similar scene of other school busses. He shot on SD, not sure what the camera was, but it was a pro SD model of some sort. I believe their both 30p. His footage of the schoolbus moving through the frame is smooth--no stuttering.

What do you think? If you had a chance to look at the link/footage I sent, do you think it's just a matter of being too close to a large moving object, thereby giving the effect of panning too quickly? And if that's the case, why would an SD camera (inferior in quality to the HMC150 I assume) not have that problem?

Thanks again for your time

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Corby Anderson
on Apr 13, 2010 at 8:48:14 pm

Gents - Just chiming in that I've encountered the same problem with my HMC 150. I see it regularly in footage, like a single frame is skipped and usually on moves. I pan and zoom slowly in the instances that I see it happen.

It's getting to be quite annoying.

Corby Anderson

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Apr 15, 2010 at 5:09:14 am

Here's my sense. It seems to be a playback issue. Perhaps quicktime has trouble playing back the prores files from the 150. The frames are all there, from what I can tell. Is this something that will get fixed on newer versions of quicktime? It is annoying, I agree.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Apr 15, 2010 at 5:15:17 am

So you haven't said whether you are doing your editing on the same drive as your OS. If you are, stuttering is often (not always) caused by competing with your OS for disk access. And moving it off to an external drive might not solve the problem if you move it to a USB drive. The recommended setup for high def on all platforms (as I've read it) is e-SATA or Firewire drives on a drive OTHER than the OS boot drive. If you are trying to do editing on the boot drive or on USB you will likely encounter stutter. Does that seem to point in the right direction? Or ?

An example of this is that Pro Tools for audio editing specifically states that they will not support anything other than what I stated above. Everything I've read about editing video also seems to state that you should follow the procedures I've outlined above. I have my OS on the primary internal drive, FCP on a RAID 1 array, and raw footage on another Firewire drive. No stuttering. Ever.

Any other ideas? Thoughts?

Alf

Return to posts index

Jon Bothun
on Apr 15, 2010 at 6:07:12 am

I have had a 150 for about 9 months and never had an issue like this. One thing I would check is if the extra graphics card is turned on. To check this you go to your apple preferences and under the energy saver icon make sure you check "higher performance".

My work flow from avchd has been to dump the avchd to an external drive (7200rpm with an 800firewire port) and trans-code the footage to prores422 back on to that drive in a separate folder and edited in fcp from that. Has worked like a charm.

Also, no reason to to use proresHQ unless you are working in a 4:4:4 color space, which you most likely aren't due to the 4:2:0 color space native to the 150.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Corby Anderson
on Apr 15, 2010 at 7:36:31 pm

Alf -

My edit system set up is: I run FCP, installed on the Mac HD, with my footage flowing to capture scratch on a 2 TB external array connected via ESata.

I currently ingest 150 .mov's using Log and Transfer, importing into my bins and to the Capture Scratch on the ext. HD at the same time...

I will check into the Prores 422 codec and see if that is the issue...I swear that I can see the hiccups in the camera as I record though. I think the thing just gags...
C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]