FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100A: Anamorphic Capture Trouble

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Sunderland
DVX100A: Anamorphic Capture Trouble
on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:00:54 pm

Hi there

I am having a problem capturing from my DVX100A PAL to FCP using the PAL anamorphic capture setting.

The DVX100A is set to Squeeze mode because I've been instructed to use this setting when filming for broadcast in PAL 16:9

At present, I am using the standard DV PAL 48khz capture and sequence settings and my footage captures OK. If I attempt to change to the DV PAL 48khz Anamorphic settings then try to open my Log and Capture tool, I receive this message:

"An error occured while configuring quicktime using the current capture preset. Please quit FCP and check your hardware configuration."

I've been told it is essential that I use the Squeeze setting on my DVX100A, what I would like to know is whether that makes it necessary to use the anamorphic settings too?

The footage I edit will be broadcast on television at 16:9 - is it essential I use the anamorphic setting, and if so, is there a way around my settings problem?

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanking you in advance, Mike

Return to posts index

Andy Schroeder
Re: DVX100A: Anamorphic Capture Trouble
on Sep 3, 2009 at 7:48:28 pm

In FCP you could always import the squeezed footage as 4:3 (which is how it is stored on the tape anyway) and after it is imported go to clip properties and check the "anamorphic" box which will then change that clip into 16:9 for editing and export.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:53:09 pm

It can be either way actually- the capture is the same if you check the anamorphic box as you capture or check it in FCP after the capture.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Mike Sunderland
on Sep 3, 2009 at 10:54:34 pm

Thank you gentlemen.

I tried capturing my footage again in non-anomorphic, once in 4:3 and once in 16:9. On both occasions, I later (after capturing) went into Sequence Settings and checked the anamorphic 16:9 box.

Having exported both attempts to MPEG4 at 768x576 SD, there doesn't seem to be any difference in size, quality etc between the two, and to my untrained eye they both appear to have the slightly squeezed anamorphic look.

So I think you have cracked it for me. I will capture in DV PAL 48 khz at 16:9 then change the sequence settings to anamorphic after capturing.

Just to double check, does that sound right to you?

I really do appreciate your help. Many thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]