FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX 100a viewfinder brighter than footage

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Smith Glover
DVX 100a viewfinder brighter than footage
on Aug 20, 2009 at 8:38:22 am

Hello,

Just got a DVX 100a. I've noticed that the image in the viewfinder is significantly brighter than the final image once digitized. This hasn't been the case with previous cameras, so I don't think it's anything to do with the way I am importing the footage. Is there a way to fix this in the menu function? The images always look a little better in the view finder with SD, but this is way too big a difference. As a result, when I light a scene, what looks like it pops on the viewfinder is actually rather flat. I can crank it up and ignore what I see in the viewfinder, but then I am working blind.

Thanks,

Smith

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVX 100a viewfinder brighter than footage
on Aug 20, 2009 at 1:49:06 pm

The viewfinder is what it is- good for framing and camera controls but not in any way intended to be solely used for image quality adjustments. You should be using an external monitor for this. Then you could at least calibrate the viewfinder's brightness controls so you know what to expect.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

JB Letchinger
on Aug 22, 2009 at 12:04:17 pm

Noah's got a good point. Assuming your editing monitor is calibrated correctly, you can adjust your viewfinder to match it. (almost) I would recommend using an NTSC CRT monitor first, straight out of the camera. In the Display Setup menu, you have control over LCD brightness, color, Backlight - and EVF Brightness. turn on bars and crank them down to where they look good. (google or search forums for bars calibration - especially on your CRT - using the blue button also - if you don't know how to do this already)
I use the Backlight on high when outside and normal inside...
That said, its possible your settings on your edit monitor could use a double check also.

JB

JBL Films, Inc.

please vist

http://www.jblfilms.com

http://www.jblfilmsinc.com

Return to posts index

Juan Pena
on Aug 23, 2009 at 4:29:38 pm

I've used these cameras for years now. Coming from shooting mainly on BETA SP, this is the biggest pitfall i see on Mini DV cameras. When i don't have an external monitor on location what usually do is open the iris about 1 stop from what look good on the LCD. Also i find with 1/3 chip DV cameras it better to be a little over than under and adjust in post.

Juan

Return to posts index

JB Letchinger
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:02:45 pm

I always trust zebras -
when in doubt - they don't lie.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]