FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupt AVCHD footage from 150

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peggy Foley
Corrupt AVCHD footage from 150
on Aug 13, 2009 at 9:09:23 pm

Power Mac, 2 x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS 10.5.7, FCP 6.0.6, Transcend SDHC 16 GB class 6 cards.

I was trying to "log and transfer" AVCHD footage I shot on my HMC 150 to FCP 6.0.6 when I ran into problems. First I copied the cards to my desktop (all folders including "PRIVATE"). The media from first card imported without problems. When I tried to import the media from the second card, the thumbnail looks fine, but when I select it, the first frame of the clip has green running through it and I can not scrub through it. If I add this clip to the queue, it starts to import the clip, then the statue changes to "1 clip queued - Idle".

I have also tried to play the original shot card with the camera. When I first go into playback mode, I see the clips. Then when I try to play one, an error message "system error turn power off" comes up on the screen.

Is there any way I can recover these clips?

Thanks,
Peg

Power Mac, 2 x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS 10.5.7, FCP 6.0.6, Transcend SDHC 16 GB class 6 cards.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Corrupt AVCHD footage from 150
on Aug 14, 2009 at 1:19:22 pm

Try putting each camera main folder *and all of it's contents* into another subfolder. Dumping them all onto your desktop is probably not helping things.

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Peggy Foley
on Aug 14, 2009 at 1:52:47 pm

Forgot to mention that I created a new folder that I put all the card contents into and I still had the same results.

Would disk recovery software work? And if so, what's the best?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 14, 2009 at 5:05:45 pm

New folder for each card or all into one? You need to sort out the contents of each individual card into discrete folders before anything will start to work.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Peggy Foley
on Aug 14, 2009 at 7:13:02 pm

Each card is in it's own discrete folder. The first card all the media works fine. It's just the second card that I've run into problems (even trying to play it back in the camera). Note: When in "Log & Transfer" in FCP, I've been importing from the discrete folder on my desktop, not the card...but I did try it from the card just to see if that would work, but had the same problem. Since I'm seeing the same problem in FCP as I see in the camera, could it be that the files are corrupt? And if so, can I get them back?

Thanks for all your help,
Peg

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 16, 2009 at 11:06:26 am

Have you erased the original card? If not you could run one of the memory rescue applications on it.

Noah

Return to posts index

Peggy Foley
on Aug 16, 2009 at 2:51:06 pm

I still have the original card. Do you have a suggestions for good memory rescue applications?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 19, 2009 at 4:35:00 pm

Just google for memory card rescue and you'll find a bunch of demos.

Noah

Return to posts index

Juan Pena
on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:07:02 pm

Noah, do you know which rescue software people had has success with? Can you recommend one?

What about: Cardrescue for Mac?

Return to posts index

Gerry Lawson
on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:51:36 pm

Hi Peggy,

in transcoding video I have gotten used to one application choking on a video file and having another application work fine. The video itself may not be corrupt. It could be that you shot in a new video mode that FCP doesn't like.

Try copying the files back to another SD Card and seeing if they play properly in the camera.

If the video plays properly then I would say you just need to try transcoding apps until you find one that works for the video.

iMovie will take the camera archive and encode to AIF (not bad quality - definitely useable.)
Adobe Media Encoder will encode the MTS files into a variety of codecs that would be fine for editing.
Premiere CS4 will edit the MTS files natively (not always without choppy playback)
Voltaic will apparently transcode these files but I haven't used it myself

On the Windows side
Canopus Edius and procoder will handle (edit/transcode) MTS files
Sony Vegas Video will handle (edit/transcode) MTS files

Return to posts index

Felix J. Torres
on Jan 4, 2010 at 3:25:55 am

Hi!, Any help??
I made a backup of the video shot with the AG-HMC150, all the folders to my desktop, touch nothing, then put them back to my camera, I can see the clips and info, but when I tried to play them it says "cannot play", why??

anyone?? thanks!

Return to posts index

joey williams
on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:39:06 pm

I had the same error. I assumed the card what corrupt, but it actually had to do with how I had my PB mode setup. The playback mode must be manually set to the format you shot the footage in. Oddly enough, it does not automatically recognize the format. I was trying to view 1080/60i in 720-something. Once I changed that PB setting, it worked fine.

Hope this helps someone.

JW
TOAD ARRAY
http://toadarray.com

Return to posts index

Dallas Bodin
on Mar 23, 2012 at 9:41:37 pm

Okay guys, I'm very pleased to announce a tried and true way to get corrupt AVCHD m2ts files to convert to something editable in FCP 7. I have not tried anything other than what I will line out below, so results may vary.

1. Start ProCoder v3.00.50 (not the Wizard). Under "Source" tab click "Add" and choose your m2ts file. I'm using Windows XP, but I assume Vista and 7 would work too.
2. Click the "Target" tab, and click "Add".
3. Twiddle down "Application Specific" and select "Editing Software"
4. In the right hand column, choose QuickTime 6 - DV for Final Cut Pro
5. After setting your output destination, you want make sure your output settings (except codec) match your source footage (Source footage details can be seen from the "Source" tab). I'm working with 720 60p footage, so I changed the following: Width: 1280, Height: 720, Frame Rate Type: Max FrameRate, Frame Rate(fps): 59.94, Interlacing: Non-interlaced, Aspect Ratio: Video [16:9] Pixel [1:1], Encoder: Apple Photo-JPEG, Bits/Pixel: Millions of colors 24 bits per pixel, Spacial Quality: High. The audio settings also need to be set as close to the source as possible. This preset is limited to 16 bit audio.
6. Click the "Convert" tab
7. Click "Convert" on the lower part of the window, next to "Pause"
8. After doing this, I transferred the new file over to compressor on my mac, and converted to ProRes for editing. The corrupted frames of the video have heavy artifacting, but the remaining bit plays back perfectly and look great.

Mac Pro 3,1
8 GB RAM
Mac OS 10.5.8
Blackmagic Intensity
FCP 7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]