FORUMS: list search recent posts

Of Letus, Lenses, and other logistics.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin DeVoe
Of Letus, Lenses, and other logistics.
on Jul 31, 2009 at 3:43:05 am

Dear esteemed CC members,

Thank you again for your assistance over the last few months; this forum is invaluable.

I have an inquiry regarding the DVX-100 and 35mm lens adapters. What settings would best facilitate a transfer of the MiniDV footage to the Big Screen?--something to be featured in a festival that cannot accept DVDs and media of unorthodox format?

I assume that 24p advanced is the correct capture mode irrespective of using something like a Letus35 adapter.

Also, should we be concerned as to what type of lenses we use (besides for the aesthetic reasons of course)? I.e. would old Nikkor lenses allow us to capture footage in a wide-screen format? In other words, should we use the 4:3 or 16:9 squeeze mode with an adapter attached?

We are considering buying some Letus35e's.

Lastly, is there any reason to believe that the dvx-100a model would function any differently with a Letus than the 100b? (We currently have 2 100as and 1 100b, and if there would be a difference we would want to shoot with only 2 cameras).

Thank you in advance,
Benjamin DeVoe

Return to posts index

cow
Noah Kadner
Re: Of Letus, Lenses, and other logistics.
on Jul 31, 2009 at 3:22:14 pm

Are you talking about a transfer to film or a digital screening in a theater? Also I think it's putting the cart before the horse to think about a specific festival's format requirements before you've even shot your movie.

Which festival is this and how are you sure you'll even get in? There are few, if any decent festivals these days that are projecting solely film any more.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Benjamin DeVoe
on Aug 1, 2009 at 4:31:54 am

Thanks for your response Noah,

There are a few local festivals in NYC and in Seattle we are shooting for--nothing national. We're just trying to avoid purchasing an add-on that would make our image look strange when shown in a wide-screen theatre.

Beat the horse.

Best,
Ben

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Noah Kadner
on Aug 3, 2009 at 3:34:50 am

I'd suggest you spend a bit more time researching festivals as well as how aspect ratios work. Not sure what you mean by a 'wide screen theater.' Most festivals these days are projecting digitally from tape or sometimes hard drive/DVDs off of 16:9/4:3 switchable LCD or DLP projectors. Typically they group the 4:3 movies and 16:9 movies together so they don't have to switch aspect ratios too often. Or they are showing movies on 35mm film- which is a hard matte in the projector.

As long as your tape or film is properly labeled and the projectionist knows what they're doing it shouldn't be an issue. So yeah I'd shoot whatever makes sense for the project first and worry about projection later. Shooting in 16:9 anamorphic is a pretty safe bet these days though.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Benjamin DeVoe
on Aug 3, 2009 at 5:27:28 am

"Shooting in 16:9 anamorphic is a pretty safe bet these days though."

Thanks Noah. Will a 35mm adapter work without issue in 16:9 squeeze mode?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 3, 2009 at 4:54:45 pm

It depends on the adapter, some project a 16:9 squeezed image already so there's nothing to be gained by squeezing it in the camera. I'd check the owner's manual on the kit you pick. Bottom line is one way or the other you'll be getting 16:9.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]