FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC150 Previewing Clips & Converting

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Gerlach
HMC150 Previewing Clips & Converting
on Jul 7, 2009 at 5:25:24 am

Just curious... I know you can preview the clips by hooking up a monitor to the camera, but is there a way to put the SHDC card in a card reader to preview the clips before transferring to a hard drive? Can you point a NLE like Vegas to the card and watch/select the clips in its preview window?

Also... once the AVCHD clips are on the hard drive, how long does it take to convert the clips using a program like AVCHD Upshift? I know this depends on the computer and desired bitrate... but let's just say the computer has these specs: 3.0 GHz Core2 Duo P4 CPU,1333MHz FSB/6MB Cache with 2 gigs of RAM and I convert to a bitrate of 35 Mbps. And let's say there's about an hour's worth of clips. About how long would it take to convert? I realize it's impossible to give an exact time, but an estimated time would help me decide whether to go with this camera and work flow.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HMC150 Previewing Clips & Converting
on Jul 7, 2009 at 7:15:12 am

I'd guess a couple of hours +/i. Check with your editing program's maker to see how it supports the HMC150.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Douglas Gerlach
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:56:53 pm

Does anyone know if you can put the SHDC card from an HMC150 in a computer's card reader and preview the clips in the Sony Vegas project media bin before you decide which clips to transfer to the hard drive? Vegas supports AVCHD but I'd like to know if it can preview the clips off an SHDC card.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 7, 2009 at 11:25:03 pm

I'd just copy everything- takes a few minutes and then you have absolutely everything you might ever need backed up.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Douglas Gerlach
on Jul 7, 2009 at 11:27:27 pm

I'd still like to know if it can be done. I'll post in the Vegas forum.

Return to posts index

Jerry Vogt
on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:49:08 pm

Doug,
I can preview and mark in and out points before transferring to hard drive with FCP. I don't know how Vegas works.
Also after purchasing my HMC-150 I was able to enroll for free to Panasonic's PASS program where they have a download for a free software player so that you or your clients are able to view the footage by just plugging in the SDHC card into a PC or MAC. Another feature of the program is their downloads to updates for the camera.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]