FORUMS: list search recent posts

considering a HMC150

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Parker
considering a HMC150
on Jun 25, 2009 at 3:47:50 pm

The HMC150 is a camera I am considering to buy.
I've read on other tapeless camera forums about errors occuring if the record button is hit too quickly after it has been stopped (on other cameras).
Are there any issues like that with this camera?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: considering a HMC150
on Jun 25, 2009 at 10:11:15 pm

Never, ever had that problem. This camera rocks if you like the look and the price.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Vogt
on Jun 30, 2009 at 2:52:11 pm

Justin,

I have shot about 4-times with my HMC-150 and regarding the tapless format, I love it-so far. I have not had any problems starting to record again quickly after stopping, remember others may be using a class 2 or 4 card instead of good quality class 6. The SDHC cards you purchase from different manufacturers do make a difference.

The camera has a nice body shape for handheld shots and the buttons are placed nicely. The audio control dials for manual adjustment of mic's are very poor and there is no auto control switch for your wireless. The camera also uses the same focus ring for focusing and iris control, not fond of this either. I have purchased a varizoom controller for mine and use it alot.($275.00) The focus assit works but it zooms in in the center of your shot and if your subject is too the left it can be difficult to tell if you are right on or not and it is a must to be right on with HD.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Justin Parker
on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:11:55 pm

That's reassuring. I currently have a DVX100 which I love and I'm looking for the HD version of it.

I guess if you read enough of these forums you're going to hear alot of horror stories!

Is editing native AVCHD really that slow? Even if you have a fast machine?

Return to posts index

Matthew Yeackel
on Jun 30, 2009 at 6:44:52 pm

Yes in my experience it's pretty slow. A pansonic representive recomends converting to P2 footage if you edit with Premier. Look for MainConcept AVCHD Transcoder.

Return to posts index

Jerry Vogt
on Jul 1, 2009 at 11:35:41 pm

Justin,

The HMC-150 does not record to P2 cards, it records to inexpensive SDHC class6 cards. I have used several brands like Transcend, San Disk ExtremeIII, Delkin, and Adata. The best for my camera are the first two. The important factor is the write speed, and it's different for every brand.

I use FCP and the SDHC slips into a small usb card reader, plugs into my Mac and transfers easily, I just walk away. Once it transfers it is a Pro Res file in HD and plays perfectly with no problem. I cant't comment on editing this file because my first project was 16x9 SD, so I had to down-convert the Pro-Res file to a DV-Anamorphic file to be used in a multi-clip with footage from a DV-CAM. All went well and edited just like anything I ever edited.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]