FORUMS: list search recent posts

intinite white background

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Yeackel
intinite white background
on Jun 23, 2009 at 7:01:46 pm

We are trying to get the 'infinite white' look with a white paper background using the HMC-150.

Our problem is seeing the yoyo string in front of an all white background. It overexposes with the white background. We have just about every color of yoyo string there is. Orange seems to be showing up the best, even better then black for some reason.

What would be the best option to get the 'infinite white' background my boss wants without making the sting disappearing/overexposing? Everything we have tried so far has made the string disappear. Moving the subject further away from the background, raising the shutter speed.

We generally have the shutter speed set at 120. I know at a higher shutter speed the camera would be better at picking up the fast speed of the string. But we have still had problem with the string getting lost at a high shutter speed when the string isn't moving.

After separating the subject from the background as soon as we use a keylight the string will disappear again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: intinite white background
on Jun 24, 2009 at 2:57:28 pm

Sharper lens, thicker string. Black background... White background is great but it's not necessarily appropriate for every subject. Also hitting the string it with a massive backlight will help.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Yeackel
on Jun 24, 2009 at 4:39:23 pm

Any specific sharper lens? I'll check your lens adapter guidebook.

My co-worker said he tried the backlight without much success, but I'll try it again.

Our boss wanted the white background, but we may have to go with the black instead. Thanks Noah, I've been reading your posts on the 150 for awhile now.

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Jun 24, 2009 at 3:11:38 pm

Yeah, white background is tough. I would suggest 2 different things.

1. White isn't the issue. Exposure is. More light on the background to blow it out. Less light on the foreground to underexpose it.
2. Use a very strategically placed colored light to shine on the string. Perhaps an red or blue or green backlight that would only hit the string.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Matthew Yeackel
on Jun 24, 2009 at 4:46:21 pm

Thanks I'll try underexposing him some more then bring the levels up in post hopefully without grainy look. The colored backlight sounds like it would be really hard to place correctly with a moving subject like yoyo string.

Thanks
-Matt

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Jun 25, 2009 at 11:49:14 pm

Can you post the results when you're done?

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Matthew Yeackel
on Jun 30, 2009 at 6:47:44 pm

Yes we are getting some new background in and are going to shoot soon. I'll keep you informed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]