FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC150 Stabilizer Advice

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Ray
HMC150 Stabilizer Advice
on Jun 18, 2009 at 5:17:21 pm

Hi, I am looking for a camera stabilizer for my Panasonic AG HMC150 for my wedding videography business. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HMC150 Stabilizer Advice
on Jun 18, 2009 at 8:34:18 pm

Depends on your budget but any standard rig should do the trick.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Jun 14, 2011 at 11:30:47 am

Hi Andrew,

DId you ever get a stabilizer for your hmc?

could you share your findings? I have the same question.

Thanks,

Gilles

Return to posts index

Andrew Ray
on Jun 14, 2011 at 2:52:04 pm

Hey Gilles,
A lot has changed in 2 years since I first asked this question! In some ways, I am laughing at the question I asked because of my circumstances now.

I have sold the HMC150 and moved to shooting with DSLR's only for weddings and commercials. If I thought stabilization was difficult with a large, balanced, easy to hold camera with strong optical stabilization, then you can imagine how I perceive stabilization with cameras that weren't manufactured for the (sole or primary) purpose of shooting video (DSLR's).

Now that I've been in the business full-time for 3 years I have begun to see that there are simply no easy answers to stabilization. Having said that, here are a couple of ways to stabilize live-event shooting:

1) DSLR Rig for $93. I own 2 of these gems I bought on eBay. Worth every penny. They don't provide rock-solid on-rails stability, but price-to-stabilization ratio is impossible to beat unless you build something yourself. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390317513663

2) Monopod for $15. Always have a monopod on your camera if you don't have any other stabilization. They take away 50% of shake and they are very portable. They don't provide great moving shot help, but they are helpful for a lot of close-ups and non-moving shots.

Hope this helps.
Andrew

http://www.LightWorksFilms.com

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:00:25 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for the info and for taking the time with the details.

So if I get this correct, DSLR rig is not JUST for DSLR? did you use it with your HMC150?

I'm taking you up on the advice for the monopod and am purchasing one!
:)
Gilles

Gilles

Return to posts index

Andrew Ray
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:11:27 pm

Gilles,
You can use this for the HMC150, though it is called a "DSLR Rig". Having said that, I sold my HMC150 before I bought the DSLR Rigs so I haven't tested them with one.

But in the pictures on eBay, the girl using the DSLR rig is using a camera similar in size to the HM150. I think the HMC150 is light enough to use with this rig, but I haven't tried.

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:14:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback Andrew.

A glidecam 4000 would be nice but is in another price cat. altogether. It's also a different system, where it's not necessarily shoulder mounted.

Do you find the shoulder mount to restrict your shots in anyway?

Gilles

Return to posts index

Andrew Ray
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:19:41 pm

Shoulder mounts are restrictive for lower angle shots, but the DSLR rig works well for those with a bit of changing the set-up as well. And I would say that shoulder mounts that are well engineered, like the one I linked to, don't take away that much maneuverability.

But I work by the rule that a stable shot is more valuable then more maneuverability. I love getting many different angles, but I keep another camera close by that's not on the rig for that purpose.

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:22:50 pm

Interesting.

Thanks again. I'll have to give this some thought before I jump.

Thanks so much,

Gilles

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Jun 14, 2011 at 9:00:30 pm

I second the monopod solution. Manfrotto makes a great one for video work that has is fluid-dampened for panning.

Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 Video Monopod

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Jun 14, 2011 at 9:04:04 pm

Thanks for piping Guy,

I'm also looking at the BlackBird. seems good enough but again, seems pricey for what you get.

Gilles

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Jun 14, 2011 at 9:16:15 pm

Another stabilizer to look at is the HaloRig, which is kind of a low cost version of the Manfrotto Fig. Be sure to take a look at their sample videos.

HaloRig : $140

For about twice the price, the Manfrotto FigRig is great for quick'n'dirty moving shots. This stabilizer is completely made out of aluminum, so it's very light despite it's size.

Manfrotto 595B Fig Rig Camera Stabilizer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]