FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can footage from an HMC150 match well with footage from an HPX300?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Kelly
Can footage from an HMC150 match well with footage from an HPX300?
on Jun 16, 2009 at 1:30:03 am

Hi,

For the past month, I've been shooting a project for a client on an HPX300, using the AVC-Intra codec at 1080/30p.

Unfortunately, we now have two simultaneous shoots at two different locations (no way around it due to scheduling constraints), and we only have one HPX300 to work with. There's no room in the budget for a rental, but my producer is suggesting we use our HMC150 for the other shoot.

Not ideal, but suppose I shoot at the maximum bitrate (24 Mbps, correct?) and avoid situations that would magnify the differences between the two cameras (such as lowlight). Would the difference be that discernible? Even if the project's ultimately broadcast in HD?

I don't think there's any compatibility issues - before we edit in FCP 6, everything has to be transcoded into Apple ProRes anyway (this would be true for footage shot on either camera).

I feel like my main concern is, will people be able to tell the difference?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Can footage from an HMC150 match well with footage from an HPX300?
on Jun 16, 2009 at 4:42:51 pm

Bring a good monitor to match the looks and make certain you're shooting identical frame rates and resolutions. In SD you'll have a hard time telling the difference but on a good HD monitor you'll see it more.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]