FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on which camera to use

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayes
Advice on which camera to use
on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:21:11 pm

I need to shoot a series of simple interviews, without using a lighting kit (maybe an on camera mounted one) and only using a handheld mic connected directly to the camera.

I have access to both a DVX-100 and a Panasonic AVCHD handheld camera (not sure of the model number though it is about 2-yrs old). I prefer working with the AVCHD workflow, though I am not sure which camera will produce better quality video and sound in this type of environment.

1. Which camera would you use in this type of environment, with unknown lighting?

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Advice on which camera to use
on Jun 15, 2009 at 9:55:08 pm

Depends on the camera. Consumer AVCHD is inferior to the DVX100 but if it's say an HMC150- go for it. Also I would recommend some lighting or it's kinda pointless to shoot at all. Even a $4 light bulb in a $3 china ball is 1000 times better than no lighting.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

kat hayes
on Jun 15, 2009 at 9:59:40 pm

Hi Noah,

The AVCHD camera is a Panasonic HDC-SD1 AVCHD.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HDC-SD1-Definition-Camcorder-Stabilized/dp/...

1. Guessing that you recommend the DVX over this AVCHD cam based on what you mentioned earlier?
2. Would you recommend mounting a light to the DVX? OR do I need some type of better lighting. I am trying to travel to the interviews with as little equipment as possible.

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:25:51 pm

DVX is far superior, better chips, optics and audio connectors just for openers. On camera lights look like on-camera lights- deer in the headlights. Unless that's what your going for. A china ball folds flat and a light bulb is a light bulb. That's about as stripped down as I can imagine.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.

Return to posts index

kat hayes
on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:34:38 pm

Hi Noah,

I am planning to walk around the floor of the conference and trade show and do interviews. This is the primary reason I was trying to avoid bringing a lighting kit, so I can be mobile. I have access to KNO FLOs, and I can look into whether I might be able to set them up in some corner to conduct the interviews.

1. If not, how and where would you hang the china ball in relation to the DVX? Is there some portable battery type of way to power it without requiring it to be plugged in?

Thanks for your help!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 15, 2009 at 11:56:40 pm

If it's a walk and talk- yeah go with the on-camera light. It will look like the 6 o'clock news but that's what you have to work with...

Noah

Return to posts index

kat hayes
on Jun 16, 2009 at 4:28:28 pm

Hi Noah,

Would I achieve a noticeable increase in either audio or video quality by using the HVX-200 instead of the DVX for this type of shoot, one with very little control of the lighting and no mixer for the audio? Will both camera produce similar audio? Which one works better in low light conditions? The final video is going to be down converted to h.264 for the web.

Thanks for all of your help!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 16, 2009 at 4:43:46 pm

Audio quality is the same except you have 4 channels instead of 2. 2 of the channels on the HVX200 are the onboard mics which for me are last resort- so essentially the same.

Video quality of course is going to be much better with an HVX200 than a DVX but of course you're also adding several thousand dollars more to the price tag so you'd expect that.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]