FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC-150 Problems

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Vogt
HMC-150 Problems
on Jun 11, 2009 at 5:11:56 pm

Just finished shooting dance recital with HMC highest quality 1920x1080 60i and a DV-CAM 2/3 inch native widescreen. Transferred HMC using FCP and PRO RES setting. Dropped into timline sequence with PRO RES setting and the footage looks great.

Now I capture DV-CAm footage, drop into timeline and we have a mismatch of codec's so I'm unable to create a multi-clip to edit the shots together.

Solution down-convert HMC footage using compressor to NTSC DV-anamorphic. Drop into new sequence setting of NTSC DV DVCPRO Anamorphic along with the DV-CAM footage. The DV-CAM footage looks awesome, but the HMC footage looks like crap. Stair stepping along the arms of dancers, blurry faces, mostly in the medium to wide shots it looks a little better when shots are closer up, but just not very good. So instead of using Compressor I try making a self contained Quicktime file. Not any better. OK so I try outputting the HMC footage directly from the camera to my DV deck using the composite cables, and then capture via firewire to FCP. Result is the worst of the three attempts.

Summary: If I want to multi-cam edit in FCP I have to down-convert, and there is poor quality picture. If I have something simple and I just want to transfer the HMC footage to a DVD recorder, it looks poor especially in wide shots and when zooming.

I'm editing with a Mac Quad Core Pro, and current FCP software.

Question:

1. Is anyone else having any similiar problems?
2. Do you think I have a bad HMC camera?
3. Is the problem with FCP, the HMC, or am I doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HMC-150 Problems
on Jun 12, 2009 at 6:51:22 pm

Make sure you are matching frame rates and resolution- HMC150 looks great converted to DV Standard definition if setup properly. Personally I'd do it in ProRes though.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Vogt
on Jun 14, 2009 at 7:23:13 pm

Noah,

Explain to me exactly how you would do it, and I will give that a try.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 14, 2009 at 7:34:29 pm

Well first of all I would not be using these two cameras together. I would get two cameras that matched otherwise it's hard to expect their footage to look similar. But that said, you should get 1080i/60 converted to 720x480 16:9 anamorphic ProRes without any issues either through Compressor or through FCP export with QT conversion, provided the original footage was ingested to ProRes 1080i properly.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.

Return to posts index

Jerry Vogt
on Jun 15, 2009 at 3:20:00 pm

I agree with you about the camera's not matching, but onto the main issue. I went to export using qt. movie and there is no setting for pro res 720x480 16x9 anamorphic, nor is there a setting in compressor.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 15, 2009 at 7:42:52 pm

File>Export QuickTime Conversion. You can then make any settings you want. Don't rely on presets...

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.

Return to posts index

Rick Foxx
on Jun 16, 2009 at 5:33:07 am

I had this same issue. My workaround is to drop the footage into a DV NTSC Anamorphic timeline. Then add the "Shift Fields" filter to your clip with the "Shift Direction" setting to +1.

HTH,

Rick

G5 Dual 2.0 gHz, 3.5GB RAM, Assorted Firewire Hard Drives, Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Jerry Vogt
on Jun 16, 2009 at 2:37:53 pm

Rick,

I am seeing shifting when I zoom in or out.
So you use the transfer to pro res and then downcovert the footage using compressor and then drop into a DV NTSC anamorphic sequence, correct? Then add the filter correct?

Jerry

Return to posts index

Rick Foxx
on Jun 16, 2009 at 11:49:12 pm

I use Log and Transfer to transcode to ProRes, then drop the ProRes 1080i clip into a DV-NTSC Anamorphic sequence. FCP will ask if you want to change the sequence settings. Click "No", then add the filter if it isn't already there. I then export the DV-NTSC sequence using Compressor and import the newly created DV file for use in my multiclip.

Rick

G5 Dual 2.0 gHz, 3.5GB RAM, Assorted Firewire Hard Drives, Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Jerry Vogt
on Jun 17, 2009 at 12:00:55 am

Thanks Rick, I wil give that a try.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]