FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firestore ...or Decklink Tape Capture?!? ...PLZ Help.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Coyle Roach
Firestore ...or Decklink Tape Capture?!? ...PLZ Help.
on May 27, 2009 at 6:48:11 am

I'm gonna throw this out there in a few different forums to see what people with more knowledge than myself have to say about the matter.

I have a decklink card which i dont use yet. should i sell it and buy a firestore? I have a DVX100b and logically it seems like i should get a firestore, it saves capture time, money on tape stock, wear on the DVX heads...will i want my decklink HD($1000 card) in the future - should I be making use of the decklink's SDI connections rather than contemplating using a firestore to begin with?
The only thing Im doing with the decklink right now is a kind of jimmy-rigged set up where i'm using a consumer Samsung HDMI LCD as a 3rd monitor for FCS2 (which doesnt work too well anyway because it only displays still frames from the canvas in full screen, rather than actin as a full motion cheapy preview monitor but thats beside the point)

I'm still just finding my way re: filmmaking, so don't hesitate to give me your advice, or opinions, about anything if I seem ignorant.

Thanks a ton everyone in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.
-Adam, vancouver

I don't have a message signature, and I'm comfortable with that.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Firestore ...or Decklink Tape Capture?!? ...PLZ Help.
on May 27, 2009 at 10:04:59 pm

What's wrong with tapes? Firestore or a Decklink is one more thing to carry that can easily foul up during a recording. Tapes are dirt cheap and easy to use.

-Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Adam Coyle Roach
on May 28, 2009 at 2:03:02 am

ahh well youve hit the nail on the head there...
Tell me if I'm wrong, but if I've spent the money on a DVX100b, and Mac Pro bad-ass, then should I not use a deck to capture with? It seems I can't get one of those for less than $500 though - and with tapes at say, $10 each minimum(if i recall rightly) would a firestore not pay for itself after a while?
I know some amateurs just capture from a little cheap camcorder, but i dont have one, plus is that really the way to go with these panasonic master tapes?

thanks for your reply, i hope to hear back from you.

I don't have a message signature, and I'm comfortable with that.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 28, 2009 at 5:22:51 am

It depends what you mean by pay for itself. Firestores are notorious for their unreliability. Do a google for Firestore problem and you'll see what I mean. I'm a big fan of recording directly to memory- when it's an integrated system like P2 or XDCAM EX. But as a piece of outboard gear I am not a fan of the Firestore one bit. That said if you're locked into the idea of ditching tape, it's certainly one way to go. Certainly far less cumbersome than trying to capture to a Blackmagic card.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]