FORUMS: list search recent posts

Screw-on Wide angle Adapters

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin DeVoe
Screw-on Wide angle Adapters
on May 26, 2009 at 1:42:20 am

Hi. Me Again. Thank you for your responses!

Has anyone tried a screw-on wide-angle adapter for the Panasonic dvx100; i.e. a century optics lens? What are the main limitations of this hardware? i.e. is there fisheyeing? can simple polarizing and other filters be screwed on over a converter lens?

I am weighing the costs and benefits between one of these and a Panasonic 16:9 adapter for 100-200$ more.

Ben

Return to posts index

Michael Ibanez
Re: Screw-on Wide angle Adapters
on May 26, 2009 at 6:48:59 pm

We, 16x9 Inc., make three wide converters/attachments for the Panasonic DVX100. They are: EX 0.75X, EX 0.7X, and the EXII 0.6X.

The EX 0.75X comes standard with a 72mm thread and can be used with other cameras using proper step-up/down rings--such as the Panasonic HVX200. It offers 25% more coverage while maintaining exceptional image quality, e.g., straighter lines at the edges which translates to a limited curvature of field. The EX 0.75X is also a full zoom-thru lens converter.

The EX 0.7X comes standard with a 72mm thread and can be used with other cameras using proper step-down rings--NOT for the Panasonic HVX200. It offers 30% more coverage while maintaining exceptional image quality, e.g., sharper contrast, better resolution, and less color aberrations. The EX 0.7X is also a full zoom-thru lens converter.

The EXII 0.6X is a new lens introduced at NAB 2009. It is a single-lens element attachment designed for 72mm cameras. It offers 40% more coverage while minimizing barrel distortion. All single-lens elements have very limited zooming capabilities, however, the EXII 0.6X makes partial zooming possible with cameras that have auto focus capability.

If you're looking for the least barrel distortion, the EX 0.75X is the best solution. If you're looking for the widest field of view, the EXII 0.6X is the best solution. If you're looking for the least barrel distortion and the widest field of view AND full zooming capabilities, then the EX 0.7X is the best solution.

Which is the right lens converter/attachment? Only you can decide.

Michael Ibanez
16x9 Inc.
michael@16x9inc.com
Exclusive US Distributor for Chrosziel, Bebob, & EasyRig
Exclusive Worldwide Distributor for 16x9 Inc., Noga Cine Arms

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 26, 2009 at 9:04:48 pm

Yeah those are nice- definitely the best solution if you need something wider than the already pretty wide stock lens.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Benjamin DeVoe
on May 26, 2009 at 9:30:10 pm

Hey everyone thanks for the responses.

Does anyone know if the aforementioned lenses are compatible with a simple filter-kit? From past experience I've found that Wide-angle converters have more problems with flare and whatnot. I don't really want to splurge on a mattebox.

I had in mind even something as cheap as this:

http://www0.dealtime.com/xPO-Panasonic-Panasonic-AG-DVX100A-72mm-High-Resol...

Ben

Return to posts index

Michael Ibanez
on May 26, 2009 at 10:42:51 pm

The wide viewing angle of these wide converters & attachments make it impossible to thread a filter onto the lens, i.e., vignetting occurs. If you would like to add a filter, without purchasing a mattebox, you can do it through a rubber lens shade.

We offer a rubber lens shade designed to work with most broadcast lenses, wide converters and attachments through the use of step-rings. The Rubber Lenshade accepts 105mm round filters.

-----

Michael Ibanez
16x9 Inc.
michael@16x9inc.com
Exclusive US Distributor for Chrosziel, Bebob, & EasyRig
Exclusive Worldwide Distributor for 16x9 Inc., Noga Cine Arms

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]