FORUMS: list search recent posts

AG-LA7200 with Letus

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Murphy
AG-LA7200 with Letus
on May 10, 2009 at 5:24:32 pm

Does anyone know how to get Panasonic's anamorphic converter lens to work with a Letus35 Extreme? I am using an HVX200 and want to get depth-of-field and maintain my 2.35:1 aspect ratio with the AG-LA7200. As it is now, I can hook up the Letus35 or the converter lens, but not both at the same time.

Return to posts index

cow
Noah Kadner
Re: AG-LA7200 with Letus
on May 10, 2009 at 5:38:33 pm

That would not work and even if it did you'd be losing massive amounts of light and quality going through 4 different pieces of glass on the way to your sensor(35mm lens, Letus adaptor, anamorphic adaptor, stock lens.) If you want a 2.35 aspect ratio just mask it off in post production and use the camera's 16:9 mode.

Also an anamorphic adaptor would be pointless on a native 16:9 camera like the HVX200 anyway- that's designed for 4:3 cameras like the DVX100- you know this right?

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tracey Lee
on Jun 9, 2009 at 3:20:00 pm

First of all, don't ever let anyone tell you that something won't work or that you can't do it. I have proven many people wrong before. Film makers have tried to attach the LA7200 to both regular SLR lenses and HD camcorders with success. The XHA1, for example, has a 72mm thread so the LA7200 will mount right on it. If you get a stepping ring that goes from say 58mm to 72mm then you can also mount it to a regular SLR lens and use it with the Letus.

You will, of course, need to adjust how you shoot. The focusing at any zoom range may differ and the sweet spot may change...but, where there's a will, there's a way.

These guys did it:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1638289

Also, there are three advantages to using an anamorphic lens with a camera that already has the 16:9 ratio. 1) If you can zoom in enough to achieve it, you can see oval bokeh instead of circular. 2) You get a nice cine-ratio instead of the regular 16:9. 3) Bitchin' lens flares!!!

let me know if you try it!

-Tracey

Return to posts index

Peter Johnson
on Aug 21, 2010 at 11:13:06 am

Here is the definitive answer. The LA7200 anamorphic lens works brilliantly on a Canon XHA1, however it won't work with a Letus lens. It just won't focus properly. So the conclusion is, use it with an XHA1, but don't expect it to work with a Letus lens.

Return to posts index

Peter Johnson
on Aug 22, 2010 at 5:07:16 am

Footnote to that last post. You can successfully focus a Letus lens with the anamorphic adaptor, but you need to adjust the f stop (quite low) and then it will be quite satisfactory. Natural light is better and don't get too close to your subject otherwise it gets a little fuzzy. Letus adapters are hard enough to focus anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]