FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100 vs DVX100a

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Wilber
DVX100 vs DVX100a
on Apr 1, 2009 at 1:58:40 pm

I'm a student looking for a camera to practice on, film shorts, docs, and projects. I'm looking for something inexpensive considering I'll be upgrading in a few years after I get a better grasp of whats out there and what direction I want to go into.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the DVX100. I'ved used the 100b from my school and it seems like a nice camera (although its the only 'prosumer' camera i've used). It seems to get reviews of being a solid camera, and also looks to be the cheapest.

Are there any big differences between the dvx100 and the dvx100a. I know they have different features so are any of them worth the extra $? Is the quality the same on both? They're about 300 - 400 bucks apart used on ebay and I was wondering if its worth spending an extra $400 when I could instead spend that extra money on a mic, or tripod, or etc.

Also is there anything I should look for when buying used? I know they have a hour meter...whats considered low, med, or high?

Any opinions?
Or should I go in another direction?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVX100 vs DVX100a
on Apr 1, 2009 at 4:58:11 pm

The B is where they made a ton of changes. The main issue is having a 16:9 Squeeze mode- vs. the letterbox mode the DVX100 original has. If you plan to shoot widescreen- you want that mode.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Grant Wilber
on Apr 3, 2009 at 1:18:49 am

Whats the difference between the 16:9 squeeze the dvx100a has and the adapter you can get with it? I know that with the dvx (correct me if i'm wrong) you can either do 16:9 letter box or 16:9 and it will squeeze then go to 16:9 in post.

So whats the adapter (AG-LA7200G) doing? Is the quality better?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 4, 2009 at 12:08:26 am

Well the adaptor is one less thing to buy/break if you do squeeze and it looks about the same. The DVX100 original only has letterbox-= that's 4:3 with black bars on the top and bottom not a true electronically squeezed 16:9 frame.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]