FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL1S vs Panasonic AG-DVX-100

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan cooper
Canon XL1S vs Panasonic AG-DVX-100
on Mar 23, 2009 at 2:56:37 am

I'm currently in pre-production on a series of tvc's with a very small budget, which I'll also be shooting and cutting on FCP/AE.

Because of budget restraints we'll be filming with DV. I own a Panasonic AG-DVX-100, and the client has a Canon XL1S. It would be nice to shoot widescreen, which the AGDVX does not do but I have read in the forums the 16:9 feature on the Canon is a digital reproduction of the image and often isn't as sharp. I'm more familiar with the AGDVX, but wanted a second opinion.

What would you recommend filming with / is there any other major considerations to factor in?

Thanks,
Dan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Canon XL1S vs Panasonic AG-DVX-100
on Mar 23, 2009 at 4:02:15 am

What's a TVC? It's really a question of taste- neither of these cameras is native 16:9 so you'll get electronic squeeze in either. Unless the DVX100 is the first model- in which case there's not even that. The DVX100A and B have electronic 16:9 just like the XL1s. Personally I've never been a fan of the XL1s over the DVX but then again you asked on the DVX100 forum so.... :)

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

dan cooper
on Mar 23, 2009 at 4:26:26 am

TVC = television commercial. Must just be Aussie slang!

The AGDVX 100 I have is the 1st model, so it doesn't have 16:9 capability. The other question i thought of is the cameras shooting modes. I work in PAL and can shoot 25P with the AGDVXC. Do you know if the XL1S is progressive or just interlaced?

Dan

dan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 23, 2009 at 6:54:23 am

Don't know- I'm not a user of the XL1s- try on the Canon forum.

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:32:58 pm

As far as 16:9, you could shoot with the DVX and crop it in post production, or use an anamorphic lens adapter with it.

I have experience with both the XL1s and the DVX, and I'm fairly certain that the Canon does not have true progressive mode; instead it has a "frame mode" that tries to emulate the progressive scan of the DVX but has some loss of quality. To my eyes, the DVX in progressive looks MUCH better than Canon's frame mode.

Return to posts index

Todd Roush
on Mar 30, 2009 at 6:00:22 am

My Canon XH-A1's have never given me the beautiful images that my old DVX did. It's a nicer camera to handle....great rings, HDV, etc, but you've got to fight it for months just so get what I consider to be a reasonable image.

I have a business to run and I'm not a camera geek so I'm not in love with the Canons yet.....looking back to the new Panny but AVCHD may have a long hard road ahead before editing is seamless.

I own Canons now but I'm still a Panny guy.

Best,

Todd

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Panny DVX-100's but changing so Sony or Cannon HDV soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]