FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD in Post

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Curda
AVCHD in Post
on Feb 17, 2009 at 7:04:21 am

Hi all,

I'm an audio guy, but trying to help out vid guys by posting...We just acquired a couple of HMC 155s. What NLE solutions will import the AVCHD files natively, no transcoding? I understand there are CS4 and Pinnacle solutions, but anything else? The more pro, the better... Normally we use FCP 6, but looking for a native solution...

Any ideas would be great...thanks!

Greg

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: AVCHD in Post
on Feb 18, 2009 at 1:29:07 am

Is it really that important- AVCHD is optimized as a camera format not an editing format. Once it's shot you really don't want to edit native because of all the extra processing required to rip and re-encode it on the fly because it's an intraframe, long-gop codec. .

Transcoding to ProRes in FCP gives you much better quality, playback performance and holds up much better in post to filters, effects, transitions etc.
The transfer from AVCHD to ProRes in FCP is really fast too- not much more so than simply copying over. And then you're all set.

Anyways- to answer your question Premiere is about it for native.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Feb 19, 2009 at 9:49:50 am

Thanks Noah...

I agree with your position, but was asked to find a native solution. I appreciate your help and have passed your views on. I hope I can help you with an audio problem sometime!!

G

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Feb 23, 2009 at 5:14:20 am

Hi Noah,

Thanks for that post!! It was just the language we needed to discourage the native editing concept since we are all FCP...

Greg

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:15:24 pm

Since I was searching around for something else, I thought I would update this post for people who find it in the future. I've been editing AVCHD natively now in Sony Video Vegas 10, and it appears that they have very effectively dealt with the preview stuttering issues, etc. I do a lot of fast and dirty editing there, since it saves me time (=$) in post production costs.

I agree with Noah, that for more higher quality jobs, requiring effects, and deep multiple tracks, I transcode, either via Neoscene on Windows or I use FCP to take it to ProRes on Apple.

So the choices have expanded since this original post.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]