FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100 - Shot in mixed modes captured and cut in 29.97 - How to convert to 23.98?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Abelson
DVX100 - Shot in mixed modes captured and cut in 29.97 - How to convert to 23.98?
on Feb 13, 2009 at 4:34:04 am

I have completed editing a film that was shot on a Panasonic DVX100 camera in mixed modes, mostly 24P, some in 24P Advanced and a couple of scenes in 60i. All the tapes were captured at 29.97 in FCP and we cut the film in a 29.97 sequence.

Now we want to upconvert the film to HD and do a frame rate conversion to 23.98. What is the best way to do this?

I realize we should have shot and captured differently. The question now is how best to resolve these issues given that we have locked picture?

Can I use Cinema Tools to remove advanced pull down from 24PA footage and use reverse telecine to remove pulldown from the 24P footage?

I have never used Cinema Tools so any help will be welcome.

As for the 60i material it seems it will be best to convert that through a Terranex to 23.98 and then cut it back into the sequence. There is just a small amount of those shots.

Finally, do I need to worry about audio sync issues as I embark on this conversion process?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVX100 - Shot in mixed modes captured and cut in 29.97 - How to convert to 23.98?
on Feb 13, 2009 at 4:29:43 pm

CinemaTools for the 24p footage and FCP Tools>Remove Advanced Pulldown for 24pA.

Then move everything onto a 23.98 check each edit because it will have moved. Then fix audio sync issue.

Unless you're intending to go out to film- I wouldn't even bother with this. LOT of work.

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

David Abelson
Re: DVX100 - Shot in mixed modes captured and cut in 29.97 - How to convert to 23.98?
on Feb 14, 2009 at 2:38:01 am

Thanks for your quick response. Can you elaborate at all on what the sync issues that we will encounter might be? Is this hard to fix or just a matter of slipping or extending the shots a frame or two over?

Also do you know anyone in New York who has experience doing this process? If we have to do it I want to hire someone with experience with doing this?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 14, 2009 at 8:56:51 pm

Yeah- audio sync will be off because your clips will be shorter especially with anything that's not camera audio.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]