FORUMS: list search recent posts

hmc150 vs. hvx200: no clear answer?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Slavin
hmc150 vs. hvx200: no clear answer?
on Feb 10, 2009 at 10:06:10 pm

I've finally found out about the HMC150, and am now second guessing my saving for over a year for the HVX200. I run Final Cut Pro, on a 15" Macbookpro, so I have plenty of power for either the DVCPro or AVCHD codecs. However, I haven't been able to get a clear answer on which camera is more bang for the buck.
Very brief and nowhere complete reasons for either, so far:

HVX:

* Tape and P2 options
* more possible resolutions / frame rates
* more thoroughly tried and tested
* more recommendations
* I've already configured my dream rig on it
* I know where to buy it
* AVCHD on the HMC - consumer grade?
* HMC only records in 16:9?
* No tape option on HMC, making transition more stark.

HMC:

* SD much much MUCH cheaper than P2
* more simple workflow?
* Apple Pro-res codec makes editing easy (in FCP)
* newer camera = upgraded CCD sensors?

Obviously I don't know much about the camera, as I've just discovered it, and I'm not sure all of my presumptions are accurate. All I'd like is a recommendation!

And if you could give some reasoning to it as well, it'd be greatly appreciated. My target purchase date is prior to June, and I'd like the camera to last me (through moderate use) for several years.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: hmc150 vs. hvx200: no clear answer?
on Feb 11, 2009 at 4:36:02 am

Try a test- I think the HMC is one of the best deals in HD cameras going these days. The picture looks great- you could fool someone into thinking it's HVX footage on all but the sharpest HD monitor. And the SDHC cards are also dirt dirt cheap. The HVX200 gives you a better codec with more bandwidth= sharper images, better color fidelity, etc. But is it worth almost double the price plus the way more expensive P2 media? I'll leave that up to the market to decide. Either camera is a great bet.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]